Starter motor runs when negative connected after clutch intall - 2002 wrx

This is a discussion on Starter motor runs when negative connected after clutch intall - 2002 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First post, long time creeper. This post relates to my stock 2002 wrx. I replaced my clutch yesterday. Everything went ...

Starter motor runs when negative connected after clutch intall - 2002 wrx

First post, long time creeper. This post relates to my stock 2002 wrx.

I replaced my clutch yesterday. Everything went pretty well. I'm almost finished, except when I attach my negative battery cable, the starter motor starts running. I think it might be running in reverse, since the engine isn't cranking but I'm stumped about what I could have done wrong. I did remove the solenoid when I removed the starter to make a bit more room.

Please, any suggestions are welcome. Is this a common starter problem? Did I reinstall the solenoid wrong? Do I need a new starter? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Whats the starter sound like when it's spinning, smooth or clattery?

It is smooth and does not engage the flywheel.

I use to rebuild starters for a living. There should be three posts on the solenoid on the starter. My guess is you flipped it around so now you have constant power to the starter. By connecting the negative wire you are finishing the chain of electrical current. Take it back off and flip it around and try that. And the starter should never turn backwards. You would have to take the starter completely apart to make it do that.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Also when you reinsert the solenoid make sure it is in front of the arm in the starter nose housing. If it isn't it won't engage the starter. The solenoid actual pulls that back during start.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

^ ...that....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Thanks, that sorted it out. I went ahead and put a new starter in anyway because once I put the solenoid bat in properly, I got a nasty grinding sound from the starter.