wiper problems - 2010 wrx

This is a discussion on wiper problems - 2010 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My drivers side wiper is moving slower than my passenger side on my 2010 wrx sedan. This happened after a ...

wiper problems - 2010 wrx

My drivers side wiper is moving slower than my passenger side on my 2010 wrx sedan. This happened after a bad ice storm and I worry i damaged the motor after trying to use the winshield wipers. They still work but because the passenger side moves faster than the driver, the driver side does not go through full rotation as it get blocked by the passenger wiper. When I try to rotate the driver side wiper by hand with the wipers off it moves freely, whereas the passenger side does not. Should I replace the whole assembly or is it a matter of torquing the right part on the driver side? Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My guess would be that the mounting of the arm is effed. You may be able to get away with just tightening it up. Under the cap where the arm mounts there is a nut, tighten that up.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

In my experience if you lose the motor both wipers would be affected. So ^
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Sounds like the connecting point might be worn or loose, so it would be freely spinning inside the wiper itself. New or replacement wiper arm would probably be needed.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

+1 to these guys above. I had this just the other day.

Pop off the plastic piece which is on the pivot point of the arm. Loosen the nut, and take the arm right off. You'll see the splined section of the arm to be striped. Talked with a Subie mechanic, he said they design these to break rather than the motor. Part is $50.

All I did was take a little rubber washer, force it over the spline, and tighten her back on. Has worked for a week so far - no problems.