HELP! = Bad Rod Bearing, need advice on what to do

This is a discussion on HELP! = Bad Rod Bearing, need advice on what to do within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; C'mon I know you're salivating to give me your advice, so what should I do? 82,000 mi 2005 WRX Wagon ...

Exclamation HELP! = Bad Rod Bearing, need advice on what to do

C'mon I know you're salivating to give me your advice, so what should I do?

82,000 mi

2005 WRX Wagon

Today my car died, had good oil pressure, no leaks, nothing. Check Engine light came on, car died 10 miles later and now engine is almost seized and I can see particulates in the oil when I check the dipstick. Mechanic believes it to be a rod bearing and says he has seen quite a few go out. By looking at my number of posts, you can tell I'm a complete novice. Car is sitting at Four B Auto Service in Santa Clara (owner seems knowledgeable and trustworthy).

So what should I do?

STi engine swap? Source and cost?
    Used engine swap? Source, cost, and expected life span?
    Sell it as as?
    *Mechanic said don't rebuild it because it would cost about $6k in parts in labor. Swap is cheaper if I want it fixed.

Blue book with it running is $10,500 based on my mileage and condition. I'm guessing I could sell it for $3500-$4000 as it sits now.

Any and all advice appreciated. Not quite the Christmas present I was hoping for!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    He's right..There's money in rebuilding engines, and kinda no point. A brand new STi engine runs around $2k - $6k. Do whatever you want buddy.
    Need help diagnosing check engine codes? Just message me!

I Support ClubWRX
    Search "hybrid build." Don't pay extra for anything "STi" as there is no point. Search for hybrid build threads and discuss them with your mechanic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.