02 WRX 5mt Possibly Jumped Timing

This is a discussion on 02 WRX 5mt Possibly Jumped Timing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have a 2002 wrx 5mt, I was driving when I smelled some burning (belt) parked ASAP and looked ...

Hello,
    I have a 2002 wrx 5mt, I was driving when I smelled some burning (belt) parked ASAP and looked and the a/c belt was broken in half so I pulled it out of the engine bay and let it sit all night. The next day I drove the car and began getting a flashing cel, scanned the cel codes and I have misfires on all 4 cylinders. Is it possible that when the a/c belt broke it wedged the timing belt causing it to jump timing?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's possible but not probable. If you are concerned look at the timing marks. More than 3 teeth is a problem.

I doubt it has jumped timing though; however if in doubt, look.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wonder if the broken belt knocked loose the CAS instead frankly. Look for physical damage and suspect the timing belt only last after all else.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I wonder if the broken belt knocked loose the CAS instead frankly. Look for physical damage and suspect the timing belt only last after all else.
    Yeah I'm trying to do the timing belt as a last resort. I'll check the CAS thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt it's jumped timing.

I doubt it's jumped timing.
    Yeah I'm hoping you're right. Did plugs, made sure the coil pack connectors were right, cleaned the maf...so just working my way through the list

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok post back when you can; good luck!

Ok post back when you can; good luck!
    Thanks, that's right below the alternator right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes look for a harness clip.

is the car running properly after you reset the CEL? , or while the CEL is on? i think if it jump timing you will feel a big difference in the way the car runs.....,,,, just an observation, at the speed that belts are moving if it gets jammed in the timing belt train, it will be a lot of damage....

Quote Originally Posted by blusuby View Post
    is the car running properly after you reset the CEL? , or while the CEL is on? i think if it jump timing you will feel a big difference in the way the car runs.....,,,, just an observation, at the speed that belts are moving if it gets jammed in the timing belt train, it will be a lot of damage....
    It runs alright you can feel it misfiring but other than that