Wife's 2007 Subaru Outback problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wife's 2007 Subaru Outback problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, the story goes something like this. When my wife arrived home from work tonight she came in the house ...

Exclamation Wife's 2007 Subaru Outback problems

Okay, the story goes something like this. When my wife arrived home from work tonight she came in the house to tell me her car is smoking. I went outside popped the hood and immediately smelled antifreeze/ coolant. Upon looking at the engine I noticed coolant all over the place and that the overflow tank was really low. I checked all the hoses and cant seem to see a hole or anything, let the car run, drove it around the block it never over heated, the radiator cap never made a pop nothing. I looked in the general area of the head gaskets and didnt see anything either. I cant tell where exactly is coming from due to the coolant being all over the engine and dripping in random spots on the drive way. I do believe the coolant is coming from somewhere at the top as it has dripped in to lower locations. The radiator fans kicks on just fine, and the heater blows hot air like normal. Does anyone have any other ideas or theories?!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try looking when your wife revs up the engine. A hose might only be leaking when the throttle is applied.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    The radiators do fail. If you can't find the leak, pressure test the system.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Okay when she revs the engine it is still unnoticeable to wear the coolant is coming from.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Pressure test.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Most radiator leaks occur at maximum temperature. If you do not want to take the car to anyone else for a diagnosis, you can refill the system, and run it parked with the hood up until it begins to blow coolant again.
    It isn't the best method, or the first I would recommend, but that stuff has been said. This way your total repair cost will be a hose at most, most likely, or clamp, or both, PLUS a bottle of coolant.
    The other possibility is the radiator sidetanks are now old enough to have cracked. Welcome to Subaru, home of the plastic radiator. If that's the case, look for where the plastic meets the metal, and see if it isn't quite coated in coolant. The cracks aren't always visible. As far as leaking hoses, that is more likely a clamp that is loose, or not seating correctly/misshapen... but as far as I know, it hasn't been upgraded, so it's a Calsonic radiator and is black plastic... and they crack.

hope that helps

mine cracked with 70k miles, at the front upper part close to where the upper radiator hose connects,,,,, I replaced it with a full aluminum radiator..... if that is the case

good luck

Don't be frightened, I am not here to try to help you turn this into a modifications festival...

Subaru WRX and STI Aluminum Radiators by Mishimoto Racing

but in the grand scheme of things, these last and won't crack (from normal driving).
    they are not as grossly expensive as you might think... If you don't even try to save any money at all, $400... $350 if you look around, as that's Mish's MSRP, much below that may not be too trustworthy. Anyone on here get a killer deal on this?

edit: Mishimoto lists the replacement radiator for that vehicle at $200 MSRP or by online direct order from Mishimoto.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 12-21-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Brought it too the shop getting a pressure test and check done now. Thanks for the imput guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread

Found it issue. The top of the radiator had a crack in it plus the radiator cap was loosing pressure as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread

same place as mine was.... probably, get a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and no more headaches

cheers

I Support ClubWRX
    If the transmission is automatic you must either buy a separate cooler or a rad that includes the cooler. Koyo makes an OEM style rad that includes the cooler. If the transmission is manual you can buy whatever rad you like.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.