Owned car 2 weeks, now won't start

This is a discussion on Owned car 2 weeks, now won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, Looking for some suggestions here... I just picked up a 2005 wrx that has a rebuilt engine/trans, but ...

Unhappy Owned car 2 weeks, now won't start

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions here...

I just picked up a 2005 wrx that has a rebuilt engine/trans, but had 185,000 on the chassis. I've had it about 2 weeks and it has run perfect until 2 days ago. Let me set the stage.

Driving to work with 1/8 tank of fuel, stop, fill up, go to work, park. I come out, try to start the car, car starts for half a second and stalls out. Then it won't do anything except crank and crank and crank.

When I would turn the key to acc or run, there would be no fuel pump priming noise. Due to the fact that the chassis had higher millage and the previous owner hadn't replaced the pump, I ordered a walbro 255lph and just finished up installing it.

No dice. The car still won't start and the pump still wont prime.

Diagnosing:
    -The harness to the pump has power
    -The car makes a strange sucking/scraping noise when I let off the key when cranking (only occasionally though... no idea what this is)
    -It was cold as eff out when this happened. Probably 20F.
    -Exhaust/intake/some open source tune modified with rom raider?

I do have the evap CEL P0475, but my blue tee is all connected and fuel cap i screwed on. However, the flapper inside that the gas pump nozzel pushes in is bent open. Not really sure if this has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions on why this isn't starting would be appreciated. I already wasted money on that pump. I don't want to keep throwing money at it randomly.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator? That might be the cause of that noise you're hearing.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

What would be a sign that it is bad when I check it?

Update: The 30 amp SBF No 5 fuse was blown. I find it strange that I all of a sudden have an electrical short.

I'm totally blowing up my own thread here... But I replaced the fuse, turned the key to "on" and the fuel pump primed! It immediately blew the fuse and didn't start. Thoughts or is forum dead? Or am I that new guy who asks a question that has a million possible answers and has been discussed thousands of times?

I Support ClubWRX
    So the fuse is blowing for a reason. Find that reason. See if the wiring isn't exposed somewhere or otherwise shorted.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^Bingo. O2 sensor wire melted through on the manifold. Wrapped it up tight, new fuse, win. Thank you internet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yay good news congrats!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.