weird noise while rolling in reverse with clutch in??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird noise while rolling in reverse with clutch in?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've searched all over and can't find anything like this... I just bought an 03 wrx wagon last week. Its ...

weird noise while rolling in reverse with clutch in??

I've searched all over and can't find anything like this... I just bought an 03 wrx wagon last week. Its in pretty awesome shape (all stock) but since a few days ago it makes noise while rolling backwards in reverse but with the clutch in. I don't notice it when backing with the clutch out or at any time in any other gear other than reverse rolling back with the clutch in. The sound itself sounds kinda like something is rubbing. Its rhythmic and directly related to how fast the car is rolling. Sounds like something that is turning rubs at a certain point each revolution. It seems to come from the transmission or clutch. (Maybe not,) but if I pull it out of reverse while its still rolling the noise stops. This is my third manual Subaru and I've never had this before. The car's only known issues at this point are bad sway bar bushings, worn front strut mounts, and the fact that like an idiot I've been putting 85 octane in it. (It didn't come with the owners manual and I only just barely saw the sticker inside the gas door). I'll try to get a look underneath tomorrow and check the drive shaft and any other moving parts for signs of rubbing, but any other ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine does that too. Actually, my clutch just quit on me, and before it went it was making that same sound while in gear and driving. Do not take my word for it, but it COULD be a very early sign of the clutch being damaged. I would do some more research on it. Wish I could be of more help.

Thanks for the input. I'm planning on pulling the motor in a few months to get easy access to do the valve covers and a few other gaskets and hoses and such that may need attention. I'll throw a clutch at it while its out. with 140K miles i can only guess the clutch is original, but probably doesn't have a ton of life left.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.