What should i put my money into first please help?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What should i put my money into first please help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought a subie with 128km miles i have an 02 wagon with a completely stock suspension and brakes. the ...

What should i put my money into first please help?

Just bought a subie with 128km miles

i have an 02 wagon with a completely stock suspension and brakes. the rotors are warped i believe beacuse it shimmies when i brake so i know i need new pads and possibly rotors.. or may just get them turned?

the car also needs an alignment pretty bad and im wondering what else i should do while its in the shop? i want to upgradee my suspension but dont know if i shpuld start with springs or sway bars or what? i figured the wrx community would know... i dont have too much to spend and am not looking for visual change as much as performance.

so the question is does turning the rotors sound advisable or just new slotted/vented rotors?
    and where to begin with my suspension?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on how bad the rotors are warped. I would just go blanks rather than slotted/vented. It's not really worth the extra money IMO. I would drive the car around a bit to see how you like the suspension. Sways are going to be cheaper than springs/struts, but you will have a noticeably different ride with the struts, as opposed to less side to side roll on the sways. Also, I would make sure your timing belt has been done, and get a catless uppipe. The stock uppipe has been known to break down and cause issues.

the car has a 3"invidia catback and exhaust. 565cc DW injectors , turbo xs front mount and bov, and v2 ap..

i am also very concerned about a cut in acceleration or fuel while in third gear between 3.5 and 4k rpms. the problem doesnt happen very often at all in fact i cant make it happen if i try... its a very intermittent cut in the system then it picks right back up.. what is this?
    the stage 2 requires a 93 octane and i did run a little 91 on the way home when i bought it but not much.. could that have damaged anything? i know these are rookie mistakes but im wondering what steps to take first to rid of this.. since its been home ive been running 93 but still experience the fuel cut sometimes. other times the car runs so strong so it seems like a glitchy solenoid..

it feels like the car just hits a wall then grabs right back where it was... this is probably where my money should go first really.. the cat i bought it from told me it needed a good tune but the fuel cut thing wasnt an issue when i first got it...

I Support ClubWRX
    It definitely needs a good tune. What are you running for a tune? If it is a stage 2 tune from COBB then it's no wonder the car is running like crap.

it is the stage 2 tune from cobb... thats how i got it. and like i said dont know much just really trying to learn so i can get that car in good shape and get it to last.. from my basic knowledge of cars the engine and everything is in very good shape even for 128k miles.. just never experienced the fuel cut until the day after i bought it so i figured i may have damaged something or was wondering if theres anything i can look into to fix this myself.. other than that the car runs very strong and is quite a snappy little thing. but ya i imagine that tune is probably the best idea from what im reading.. just dont even know where to go.. i am just north of the border of co in wyoming.. i figure somewhere in ft collins or denver is my best bet any recommendations?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not familiar with that area, but there is always the option of e-tuning (over email). Do you have a WBo2 sensor installed? Also, have you done datalogging on the car?

it is the stage 2 tune from cobb... thats how i got it. and like i said dont know much just really trying to learn so i can get that car in good shape and get it to last.. from my basic knowledge of cars the engine and everything is in very good shape even for 128k miles.. just never experienced the fuel cut until the day after i bought it so i figured i may have damaged something or was wondering if theres anything i can look into to fix this myself.. other than that the car runs very strong and is quite a snappy little thing. but ya i imagine that tune is probably the best idea from what im reading.. just dont even know where to go.. i am just north of the border of co in wyoming.. i figure somewhere in ft collins or denver is my best bet any recommendations?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Start with maintenance.

Get a tune and get the engine in order (local club for recommendations on shops/tuners). Or some good e-tuners are EJ257 on here, Phatron on NASIOC can tune using your AP. Just do your research, there's some good ones out there that can get you squared away.

Then alignment, find somewhere you can get a lifetime alignment deal at a shop you can trust (refer to local forums or clubs). Especially if you are going to mod the suspension, you will make multiple trips to get an alignment. I go at least every three weeks in the summer to the Firestone store, there's a guy there that does lots of performance cars and custom alignments, comes highly recommended by locals.

that would be really great seeings how i have to drive at least 3 or 4 hours to a good tuner.. will definitely look into that asap

maintenance.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

A savings account.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.