Just bought my first scoob and have some questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just bought my first scoob and have some questions. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the car is an 02 wrx wagon with 3" invidia cat back, cobb v2 ap, 565cc Destschwerks injectors, short ...

Smile Just bought my first scoob and have some questions.

So the car is an 02 wrx wagon with 3" invidia cat back, cobb v2 ap, 565cc Destschwerks injectors, short ram intake, turbo xs fmic, and a 6 puck clutch. Like i said i am new to subaru so excuse me if i sound silly in here..

The car has 125k miles on it. i brought it home and ended up having to run 91 thru it as i got to who. Unfortunately i was unaware the damage i could do by doing this and not using additive. Since i got home i have ran the additive thru it but have experienced a fuel cut about twice a day or so since then. A cut that seems like the entire fuel system cuts for a second then picks right back up. the car idles fine and runs great 90% of the time. There are times i will drive it and d wide open pulls all the way thru no problem.. So maybe a glitchy solenoid? Did i damage the injectors or throw off my tune? Is the weather a factor? I always let it warm up but its been -20 in wyoming.
    Im also curious about my tranny mounts. car shakes in reverse (could just be me and the 6 puck). But also seems to be a bit lurchy or jerky in 1st or second. From what ive read its possible this could be an engine or pitch mount? Again i know some of my terminology and points may be off or irrelevant but any hep would be much appreciated. Thank you. Happy to be part of the community. Loving my car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

car also has a turbo xs bov and i believe it supposed to be pushing about 14lbs of boost but since the trip home its just under...

I had a similar situation, and still have my bugeye. Which turboxs bov do you have? they offer a recirculating valve with a neck and hose. That one is OK. It may leak slightly, but not enough to cause huge problems (hopefully). They also offer one with a trumpet, that one is a problem if you have it. You may have an engine with the 'bandaids' tuned into it to make a blow off valve work, but that is all that could be. If this is the case, get yourself a fully recirculating valve. Those noisemakers will cause you nothing but trouble.

Injectors, intake, fmic, clutch, all could be sources of pains...
    Without a correct tune, the injectors will help a lot. Without a tune, they will do nothing.
    Intake is ok.
    FMIC requires tuning, is generally a no-no without a turbo swap, and causes lag.
    with a stock target boost threshold, FMIC makes no sense. 17psi and above may see benefits, 21psi and above, definite benefits. 14 and below, no way.
    pucked clutch is noisey, can shred gears, is hard on the driveshaft and rear differential.

If you have the means to get some of these parts off the car, a street clutch, good TMIC, and tuning from one of the fellows here or one recommended by them... that would be my recommendation.
    This will get you reliable power, and much more than the stock vehicle would offer, but without the heartache of breaking things just for no reason at all.

P

If possible, ignore everything I just said and give us a copy of your AP's map. That would help us to see why you have such a low target boost.
    (still using stock turbo with all these add ons??)

thank you for your reply
    i am waiting to receive a few parts from the guy i bought the car from.
    Those parts include a turbo xs recirculating bov an exedy stage 2 clutch and an extra motor for parts just missing injectors but had a timing issue. unfortunately it is a stock turbo from an 05 wrx. i am probably going to upgrade my brakes and suspension before anything.. unless otherwise suggested. ha. like i said i just am unsure what step are most important to take first. id hate to damage my car. just want the most out of it.

i will try to get a copy of the ap's map when im home and hopefully that will help. sorry im so uninformative.

It is definitely good to be careful. It sounds like you have the right idea. Keep asking questions. Don't do anything until you are sure you know what you are doing, and this will go very well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like the car is overboosting a tad. Is there an extreme elevation or temp difference from where you bought the car? I would also ask the previous owner if he had the car custom tuned or not. With those mods there is no off the shelf map from Cobb to use.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You smelling fuel at all?
    Randy-
    2011 WRX limited
    02 blaze Wrx-sold
    04 Wrx pos- sold
    99 forester
    People say I'm like the girl next door,
    Y'all must have some really weird neighbors-Kelly Clarkson

the car had a custom tune but not since the fmic was installed apparently. and no i am not smelling any fuel.. he told me when i bought the car it needs a good tune but i know when i got it there was no fuel cut issue. i am starting to think it may be a glitchy solenoid or sensor? i believe this because the issue is so intermittent. i cant make it happen if i try. i brought the car from denver to wyo so no big climate change. although it was very very cold here. and i am not sure about overboost because it handled that much boost in the beginning.. probably just need to see a tuner as soon as possible. like i said i have no 93 octane available to me and am using 91 with additive.. the car is on a stage 2 93 octane tune

I'm still new to the Subaru scene but can't the APv2 do datalogs? Just do a 3rd gear run while datalogging and check your boost, EGT and knock. Apparently we also have a wideband stock but I don't know how accurate it is at WOT being before the turbo.

P.S. Stay far away from octane booster cans.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.