2004 WRX won't stay running!!!

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX won't stay running!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Everyone, I was just driving my subie down the road and it started to sputter quite a bit then ...

2004 WRX won't stay running!!!

Hey Everyone,

I was just driving my subie down the road and it started to sputter quite a bit then stopped on me.. It fires right up but then dies instantly. I had trouble before where it would not even start at all and all I did was jiggle the fuel filter around and ain't fired up and ran fine for several months again. Any suggestions? Probably not getting enough pressure but I'm certain it could be something more..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

could be many things,, from a malfunctioning fuel pump , dirty or clogged fuel filter , to a dirty MAF sensor, too many choices here......

good luck

Mine once blew the intake piping apart and acted like that: would fire up instantly but die immediately. Makes perfect sense in that scenario (I mean my issue). . . Maybe something like that?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

See, it has been very cold we're I live and I was running low on gas for a day or so (very low) then I went and filled her up with premium obviously drove it for about 30 miles then this happened. Maybe I got water or ice build up. I'm going to try a can of dry gas then let you guys know what happens..

Possible. When tank is low and outside temps drop it will pull outside air into the empty space. Any condensation from that air will result in water that sinks to the bottom of the tank. There it stays, it can not evaporate because there's fuel sitting on top if it. When then running very low on gas you'll end up sucking that water into the fuel system. Try that "gas-dry" (it's actually an alcohol that binds/mixes with the water).
    For future, the only way to keep condensation out is to not have that empty space in the tank, aka keep the tank filled.

Right, well it isn't the gas and I'm getting plenty of pressure so it must be an intake problem.. I'm thinking my O2 sensor is dirty or not working properly because now my check engine light is on and my codes are coming up up for oxygen sensors if it isn't one thing after another.. Think I could just clean my sensor and get it running again? At least a couple miles home.. (It's along side the road right now) if not I may have to go purchase another or get my car trailer out. Thanks for all of the help guys

Well, when my O2 went bad the car just ran sick, but did run. Under WOT it doesn't even use the Os and my car still ran with full power. Just the in-between it was sick and stuttering, would occasionally die in idle when coming off the gas, but start again and stay running, just rough

Yes!! Took out my MAF sensor, had some funky stuff on it and even looked like a strand of plastic dangling off of it. So I cleaned it, put it back in and the ol girl fired right up. Thanks for all of your help guys! I look forward to joining this community of other subie enthusiast

glad you got it back on the road

cheers