Oil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What oil does everyone recommend for 2010 wrx?...

Oil

What oil does everyone recommend for 2010 wrx?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

make sure you use a full synthetic...........get Royal Purple.....I think its one of or the best out on the market

^ I recall reading Royal Purple actually NOT fitting the specs... But yes, there's tons of info here, and there's loads of good brands with fair prices out there.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

What do your owners manual say?
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

Specs I remember: 5-30, synth. Then there's something like SG rating minimum required... But that's where I get lost. I looked it up, got the right oil, serviced my car and forgot about it. Now I've got Shell Rotella T6 sitting there for the next oil change. Of course it's 5-30 ( I think) and synth.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by doobysooby View Post
    get Royal Purple.....I think its one of or the best out on the market

Royal Purple is one of the worst performing synthetics out there.. if you go by UOAs..

Hard to argue with used oil analysis... BTW, what does that cost and how would I have to go about it?
    I got this done many years ago in Germany on the oil of a gas turbine. It was the best way of showing internal wear of things like bearings and gears.
    OK, I just checked the Blackstone lab's web-site. I'm not clear: is the order for 6 kits at $19 ea for the analysis or for the kit, and then additional $25 for the actual analysis? My guess would be that $25 applies for the "free" test kit's evaluation?
    Last edited by Ingo; 12-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Blackstone is the place to go but I've always done the test kits individually so I can't help with the batch pricing, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Royal Purple is one of the worst performing synthetics out there.. if you go by UOAs..
    That and its actually listed somewhere as a non-approved oil by SOA.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Specs I remember: 5-30, synth. Then there's something like SG rating minimum required... But that's where I get lost. I looked it up, got the right oil, serviced my car and forgot about it. Now I've got Shell Rotella T6 sitting there for the next oil change. Of course it's 5-30 ( I think) and synth.
    T6 is 5w-40 and good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That and its actually listed somewhere as a non-approved oil by SOA.

Funny I had a fantastic conversation with a Royal Purple rep at SEMA. Great guy, honest. We were talking about the Subi's and he basically said there is no point running RP in your Subaru. Because based on how dirty the EJ engine is, SOA's recommended 3000 mi service interval is more about removing the fuel contamination from the oil than oil degradation by heat and shear. He said with the Subaru even RP would recommend a 3000 mile interval. Based on that alone he didn't recommend running RP in the Subaru, there was no benefit realized. He even said if it were his car and he had to pay for oil, he'd put T6 in it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Nice Jeremy. That's actually really good information to know.

I gotta freakin find some damn T6 around here. I swear every where I look I can't find it...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Nice Jeremy. That's actually really good information to know.

I gotta freakin find some damn T6 around here. I swear every where I look I can't find it...
    Amazon.

Edit: Uhhhhhh...

http://www.amazon.com/Rotella-550019...rds=rotella+t6
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Never thought of ordering oil online...who would have thought.

i found some at my local Walmart over here.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast