fuel...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on fuel... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Was talking to a buddy today, recomended regular in my WRX, not premium. Said the Premium combusts too hot, and ...

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States

fuel...

Was talking to a buddy today, recomended regular in my WRX, not premium. Said the Premium combusts too hot, and doesnt have as many lubricants as regular. Also mentioned Premium in Japan is a different Premium than here... I'm not risking it, but curious if others have heard anything about this too, or know anything on it? I cant imagine Subaru would recommend a fuel octane that is detrimental to their vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Premium in Japan is different to premium here, regardless of where "here" is as long as "here" is not Japan.

My question: so what?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well... living in MA, here would be the USA

Primarily, the combustion being too hot for the cylinders/pistons... Why would Subaru tell us to put fuel into our cars that is detrimental to the overall well being and running of the engines?

There is also regular having more lubrication value then Premium... if this was the case Premium would be more refined then regular, but last I checked from least refining to most it was Diesel/home heating oil, premium, mid grade and finally regular...or am i wrong?

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you name an area of the developed world where fuel is more consistent in quality and/or more tightly regulated? I don't think I can.

Since your friend presented no evidence whatsoever for any of the statements, they're not worth considering unless the discussion is philosophical or metaphysical.

Subaru deals with warranties, not theories. What does your friend's owner's say about fuel?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car will run best on the 93 octane fuel that is available in the northeast. Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about in this regard, so disregard anything he tells you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The only reason i considered it, is because I had never heard anything like that. It caught me as strange, but thought maybe somewhere I had missed something regarding fuel "quality".

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Your car will run best on the 93 octane fuel that is available in the northeast. Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about in this regard, so disregard anything he tells you.
    What about the 93 Octane makes it run "best" up here?

I Support ClubWRX
    Fuel quality in the US isn't worth worrying about. Find at least 91 as specified, use it, done. You can use lower octane if you are stuck in the desert and must get to a fuel station, but not routinely. All this is in the book.

The engine will last longer than most people would be interested in keeping the car with the fuel available in the US.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    Higher octane fuel can take higher compression before you will get knock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb
    The fact that your car can run more advanced ECU parameters vs other octanes. You can run more boost, more timing, and/or leaner AFRs, etc.

UNYSOC

Increasing my boost, running a leaner AFR, and if desired, a different timing setting will result in a higher compression ratio, correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb
    Increasing my boost, running a leaner AFR, and if desired, a different timing setting will result in a higher compression ratio, correct?
    Not quite...

Octane essentially dictates the resistance to knock. The more resistant to knock your fuel, the more aggressive you can get with your mapping.

In the states, the best pump gas octane you're going to get typically is 93.

UNYSOC

How does octane relate to knock resistance?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    How does octane relate to knock resistance?
    Directly. As octane rating increases, the activation energy needed for combustion increases. This means that at whatever compression ratio, for example, the higher the octane rating the lower the possibility of autoignition. Or, at whatever timing the lower the possibility of autoignition etc.

These past few days I've been confused... All this talk of knock, and now specifically in regard to fuel. We all know "knock" as that horrific nightmare sound when a rod inside is bad, whether it be bearing, crankshaft, the rod itself, or all of the above... When "knock" is mentioned regarding fuel, what does it "mean" so to speak? How can we tell if we're a victim, and what are the side effects of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast