fuel... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on fuel... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Keep in mind though, that if we simplify, the car follows a map. At some point increasing octane will not ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind though, that if we simplify, the car follows a map. At some point increasing octane will not result in a change in how the car runs that you'd notice.

Since in the US the lowest "high octane" fuel is what is locally called 91, it's reasonable that all Subarus sold here will run with the "baseline" high octane fuel sold here.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    Was talking to a buddy today, recommended regular in my WRX, not premium. Said the Premium combusts too hot, and doesnt have as many lubricants as regular. Also mentioned Premium in Japan is a different Premium than here...
    Your buddy is a moron. There is a reason auto manufacturers make vehicles for different markets. You don't have a "jdm" Subaru just because it was made in Japan. You have a "usdm" Subaru made in Japan for the American market. Simply Google "octane" and read. And octane does not dictate "lubricants". The specific additive packages a certain gas station/company uses does and it will generally be the same across all octane levels. Your owners manual clearly states to use premium fuel for a reason.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^exactly...

These past few days I've been confused... All this talk of knock, and now specifically in regard to fuel. We all know "knock" as that horrific nightmare sound when a rod inside is bad, whether it be bearing, crankshaft, the rod itself, or all of the above... When "knock" is mentioned regarding fuel, what does it "mean" so to speak? How can we tell if we're a victim, and what are the side effects of it?
    Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

How does octane relate to knock resistance?
    It only relates to knock resistance. Octane rating is simply a reference to the percentage of a particular type of molecule in the fuel that, by differing amounts, makes the fuel more or less resistant to knock.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have dumb friends.

These past few days I've been confused... All this talk of knock, and now specifically in regard to fuel. We all know "knock" as that horrific nightmare sound when a rod inside is bad, whether it be bearing, crankshaft, the rod itself, or all of the above... When "knock" is mentioned regarding fuel, what does it "mean" so to speak? How can we tell if we're a victim, and what are the side effects of it?
    There's really nothing to be confused about. It's quite simple, really.... and I tend to agree with the rest that have commented about your friend.

"Knock" in this case, refers to a separate flame front that has developed in the combustion chamber, and opposite the flame front created by the spark plug. These two flame fronts collide and produce a "knocking" or "pinging" sound. This is also known as Pre-ignition.
    Team Bad Luck Scooby

Side effect?: fires the combustion during the compression cycle, actually tries to drive the piston backwards. It's like hitting the crank with a sledge hammer AGAINST the rotation. Loss of power is the least of effects, broken parts (crank, rods, pistons, rings, -you name it, take your pick) are likely sooner rather than later. Remember, engines run at fairly fast revolutions. If something happens once per turn and causes a very minute bit of damage on 1 turn, after 60 seconds it adds to several thousand times that minute damage - and kaboom
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

^^That. Yes....that too. Forgot to mention it. Leads to bad things, man.
    Team Bad Luck Scooby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.