LOUD Metal on Metal Creaking/Scratching Noise?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on LOUD Metal on Metal Creaking/Scratching Noise? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here's a short 30 second video of my snow drifting, you'll be able to here the noise clear as day. ...

LOUD Metal on Metal Creaking/Scratching Noise?

Here's a short 30 second video of my snow drifting, you'll be able to here the noise clear as day.

Story:
    So I decided to take my 2004 WRX out for a little snow drifting in this snow covered mud/dirt drive way. After a few spins the car suddenly started making a LOUD creaking/Scratching noise. I promise you it was loud because my GoPro picked up the noise over my 3" Catback exhaust. So at the end of the video you'll see me just turning the wheels to see if it was steering related... it wasn't.

After the video I played with the clutch and all the gears including reverse, No noises, everything was fine, it only happens when the wheels are turning (car is in motion) So I just limped my car home and the noise went away once my car got up to speed (around 30ish MPH). With no garage and a slushy drive way, i'm not planning on crawling under my car today to check it out so I'm gonna ask you Subaru Gurus, what do you think the noise was?

My theory is that with all the cinders, salt and stones from the snow plows, something might have wedged itself in between my rotors and the brake shield (that thin metal thing behind the brakes, I forget what they're called).

I hope this is the case, although whatever might have been wedged might have chewed up my rotors, brakes are easier/cheaper to repair than transmission/steering related things in my opinion lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I concur. I've had that happen before. It sounds VERY much like debri in the brakes.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, that sounds exactly like some sand or gravel lodged in the rotor. I got a small twig stuck there once and it sounded exactly like that. Pulled over, found the twig, removed it, and was back in business.

Should be easily enough to isolate the rotor and poke the obstruction out.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks! I'll have to inspect my brake rotors sometimes soon to make sure the damage isn't too bad.

I was barreling down a dirt road and had the same exact noise in my old FX4. I was like wtf, it turned out to be a small branch lodged in the rotor.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    power wash your brakes out good

Exactly the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. It most likely a rock/gravel that is wedged in between rotor and the shield.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.