Exhaust Smoke

This is a discussion on Exhaust Smoke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ever since I've installed my catless dp I've noticed that I have more than normall exahust smoke coming out. ...

Exhaust Smoke

So ever since I've installed my catless dp I've noticed that I have more than normall exahust smoke coming out. Its not thick white smoke and does not linger, it seems to disapte rather quickly. It doesn't smell like burnt oil just normall exhaust smell maybe fuel if anything. I checked my oil level and was 1/4 qt low 1500 miles into my oil change. I do know that wrx's and sti's do burn oil. So my question is, is this some what normall or may I have a problem, there has been no power loss and I'm using mobil 1 530 aprox miles is 4500 and its also winter time meaning temps are in the 30's so I'm hoping its just the cold weather and not a major issue. I notice it on cold starts and after driving a while sitting at idle though it does go down and is minor. Any thoughts would be healpfull to calm my nerves.
    2013 Subaru WRX OBP, COBB Stage 2 OTS, Invidia Catless DP, K&N Typhoon Intake, Nameless Performance Axel Back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well for starters, if you are running a catless DP with a cobb OTS map that is not safe.

Yes I do know that it is meant for a catted pipe well be getting protuned in spring.
    2013 Subaru WRX OBP, COBB Stage 2 OTS, Invidia Catless DP, K&N Typhoon Intake, Nameless Performance Axel Back

Could be the residue burning off the new piping. I had that white smoke when I did the q300 catback and invidia catted downpipe.

That's besides the point anyways, I've had my dp on for 2000 miles and has done it since I installed it. Not sure if its just blow by or what

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be smog. Since your car now lacks a cat, it will pollute more and smell worse. This is the main disadvantage of removing a catcon.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ya I think I'm all good, I've been watching it everytime I start my car and it seems to be just normal exhaust,

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It could be smog. Since your car now lacks a cat, it will pollute more and smell worse. This is the main disadvantage of removing a catcon.
    isn't removing the cat illegal?
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    Technically modifying your exhaust in any way is illegal in most states.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure why you quoted the message you did, but modifying any part of the emission system (ECU included) is illegal. Replacing the downpipe with a high flow cat is likewise modifying the emission system and is likewise illegal, technically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I'm not sure why you quoted the message you did, but modifying any part of the emission system (ECU included) is illegal. Replacing the downpipe with a high flow cat is likewise modifying the emission system and is likewise illegal, technically.
    Interesting
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting
    Yup. You are only supposed to replace the cat with a non-factory replacement is when it is difficult/impossible to get a factory replacement, from what I understand.

Either way, without a decent tune, OP will be seeing smoke soon enough I bet. Good 'ol overboosting. These GRs are freaking boost machines when you take out the cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

1. smoke is normal especially if it's cold (obviously). as long as it's not blue or black you're fine.
    2. it's perfectly fine to run an OTS (stage 2) map with a catless DP as long as you don't have a straight through muffler and any other unspecified engine modifications. anyone who tells you otherwise has no professional knowledge.
    3. again, stop worrying about smoke if it's not blue or black. if it's thick white all the time, it could be coolant, then you have problems. doubtful in your scenario.

source: I'm a race engine calibration engineer.