mysterious coolant leak PLEASE HELPP!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on mysterious coolant leak PLEASE HELPP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I have been doing work on my wrx since I got it in 2007, while I have read an ...

Exclamation mysterious coolant leak PLEASE HELPP!

Hey, I have been doing work on my wrx since I got it in 2007, while I have read an uncountable amount of helpful posts this is my first post ever. I couldn't find others specific enough to diagnose my problem, so hoping you can help.

I have a 2005 WRX stock (I replace everything with OEM parts.) I did timing belt/water pump about 15k miles ago.

While doing a routine oil change i noticed my coolant was low. Then when I took off the skid plate I noticed a bit of coolant pooled up on the passengers side. After farther investigation, I noticed more coolant pooling up just to the left of the alternator. The whole front of the timing belt cover is also soaked! First thing I thought of was the radiator hose that is right there, but when I look where it connects at the hose clamp it doesn't really seem like that could be the source. It seems like the majority of it is behind that. I had a friend rev the engine up to about 4000 RPM while i looked to see any leak but I could not indicate any happening. Does anyone have an idea where this leak might be coming from!? I am not super familiar with the entire coolant cycle and where the leak could be from. I have posted several pictures below of where I can see coolant. Thanks for your help in advance.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...ps498ae53f.jpg
    http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...pscbbd36d2.jpg
    http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06b9d264.jpg
    http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa82bc92.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Because it is so widespread, it is possible that the coolant has been sucked into the fans and spread by the spinning blades.

If so suspect a radiator leak. They are quite common.

If you cannot find the leak have the system pressure tested.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

but its doesn't look like it was spread out everywhere by a fan, it's more concentrated to specific areas, mostly directly left of the alternator and the alternator accessory belt. It seems like its coming from just behind that coolant hose that connects to the radiator. What does the other side connect to? Could whatever it's connecting to have a leak or be failing?

I Support ClubWRX
    The lower rad hose connects to the thermostat housing, that in turn is bolted onto the water pump. The upper rad hose is on the other side, and its connection to the engine is visible under the air intake.

Consider pressure testing.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so I just went to look at it again and see if it might be a head gasket. I used a long rolled up paper towel to dab into the puddle and now it looks more like oil almost.. its more brown on the paper towel, but the stuff that had dripped down the timing belt case right under the top radiator hose is definitely green. I'm so confused here.. could it be a head gasket? what are the other possibilities.. it definitely seems like its originating from somewhere just left of the alternator. ah this is so frustrating

I Support ClubWRX
    There is an idle control valve and a few other things that get coolant but before you go guessing, have the system pressure checked. It will answer the question definitively.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.