possible leak/BOV or Wastegate failure

This is a discussion on possible leak/BOV or Wastegate failure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to determine what happened to my car. 2013 WRX with 3500 miles. COBB catted downpipe,Invidia cat back, AEM intake ...

possible leak/BOV or Wastegate failure

Trying to determine what happened to my car. 2013 WRX with 3500 miles. COBB catted downpipe,Invidia cat back, AEM intake and COBB stage 2+ flash. Mods installed in April and car ran fantastic through October. Then the car started backfiring, loosing power and having a uneven throttle response. I'm also blowing a lot of carbon out the tailpipes. I am getting a whine that almost sounds like drivetrain lash above 3500 RPM. My best guess was the stock BOV was blown so I have ordered a COBB piece to replace it. Took off the factory BOV and it seems fine but I haven't installed the new one yet. Before I completly pull my hair out and take the car to a speed shop for a diagnosis I was hoping for some help of if anyone has experienced this issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Check for leaks.. I've never heard of a BOV failing, at least not a stock one.

Do you mean BPV? because if so it could be that because it's colder now (depending where you live) your getting more boost when it's cold. I had same problem in mine a couple weeks ago all I had to do is switch to LWG map and have not had a problem since. Hope this helps.
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

I had similar issue and still trying to resolve it. a lot of people are saying that it might be the TB to TMIC hose so I bought a gimmick one from IIR and also flashed to LWG map. hose took a little while to get on right but didn't hear the squeal anymore but just drove a few miles. I still was boosting high around 19.1 psi so I went to the SLWG map and now boosting around 18.6 psi which I think is a little more safe than the 19.8 ish that I was pushing on the regular stage two map.

here is the link for the hose.....AVO makes one also
    Gimmick Motorsports Throttle Body Hose for 08-12 Subaru WRX/ 05-09 Legacy GT Import Image Racing

Ok, thanks for the responses. I pulled the BOV and it looked fine (after I ordered a COBB unit). Pulled the intercooler off and checked the throttle body hose. Came right off at the throttle body. Either someone at the factory was asleep that day or the pressure from the turbo loosened it. Tightened it back up and put everything back together. No more whine noise. I got really excited and put my foot in it, causing a pop and the CEL to come on. Code was a "wastegate solonoid A failure". I cleared the code, turned off the car and started it back up. Seems fine. Going to drive for awhile gingerly to burn off the excess carbon that had built up when the computer was having the car run rich. Hopefully, there is no issue. If not, I guess I succeeded in going out of the frying pan and into the fire.