E3 Plugs

This is a discussion on E3 Plugs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone had any experience with E3 plugs and was it a good or bad experience. I am looking for ...

E3 Plugs

Has anyone had any experience with E3 plugs and was it a good or bad experience. I am looking for performance spark plugs and have heard a lot of good things about E3 plugs and technology and design wise they look like they would perform well. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What aspects of the existing plugs are you interested in improving?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

More effieciency, better power with new modifications, and overall better plug than OEM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The factory ignition system is perfectly fine; there is no reason to upgrade unless you need to adjust the heat range of the plugs. Just use the OE units (P/N 22401AA630) or NGK Iridiums (LFR6AIX-11).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

E3 Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by My08WRX View Post
    More effieciency, better power with new modifications, and overall better plug than OEM.
    Of all this, the only potentially realistic improvement in my view is longevity -- the stock change interval is 60 K miles so I went to NGK iridium a and will change them at 80 K.

I think the rest isn't realistic unless you need a different heat range. If you do, switch to that heat range (usually colder).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well I have heard of people changing to iriduim, bosch +2 and +4 and having good results, but had not heard anything about E3s. They seem to me to be a better designed Bosch +4 and I have heard people say great things about the +4s. Better combustion is all about more efficient and better burning of the fuel that is in the combustion chamber and having a better spark to me seems to be a no brainer. The difference between a straight spark and a directional spark seems to me something that would be better for combustion. I just am trying to get every advantage I can get from every part that I place in my car. I have run bosch iridiums in my boat with mild to little better performance and when splitfire's first came out I ran them in my 69 Camaro and got better economy and small performance increase. Needless to say since I am a scientist I like to go with things that seem to have science backing them. What does cooler plugs do for an engine? I have heard of others doing this, but never knew exactly why? Thanks for the input it is great to hear from to hear from other suby lovers.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm moving this to our Maintenance forum...

NGK/Denso explaining heat range of plugs:
    NGK Spark Plugs USA
    DENSO SPARK PLUGS - Basic Knowledge

The most important aspects to your spark plugs is choosing the proper heat range and gap. That will have FAR more to do with performance than what you're asking about. There are times where you will just not see any kind of ROI, and as a general rule, outside of the two parameters I mentioned (material being a potential third, but that tends to have more to do with longevity/reliability than performance), the Subaru ignition system fits into that category.

Choose a brand/material, heat range, and ensure that the plug is gapped correctly. Install them and don't think twice; K.I.S.S. rule applies
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by My08WRX
    Needless to say since I am a scientist I like to go with things that seem to have science backing them.
    There are no data to substantiate the marketing claims.

Without reproducible, statistically significant data we are left with claims that only now, and for the low price of $XXX, the guys at company YYY have improved a device that is essentially a toilet fixture with an electrode. The device has been in use for over a century but the people at company YYY are unique, plus they wear lab coats.

That's what the claims of every fancy plug maker boil down to. The details differ.

As a scientist you would want to see data. I've seen none worth mentioning.

cooler plugs do for an engine?
    They are usually reserved for higher boost, more aggressively mapped applications, along with narrower gaps.

Thanks for the feedback, it helped me look at spark plugs differently and taught me something in the process. As I have increased the modifications on my car I think cooler plugs might be a very good idea especially if I am going to go through the trouble of changing the plugs. I have several modifications yet to do and as I do them I think changing the spark plugs would be a good idea.

I Support ClubWRX
    When you need a colder plug you will know. Until then if it were my car I'd use regular range NGKs. Just IMO. There is a plug FAQ somewhere; maybe try following my signature link (I can't see it on my mobile sorry).

Another +1 for sticking with NGKs. Keep it simple, they get the job done very nicely.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan