no power steering???? please help!

This is a discussion on no power steering???? please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello i have a 02 wrx and i have no power steering in slow tight turns. i checked my fluid ...

no power steering???? please help!

hello i have a 02 wrx and i have no power steering in slow tight turns. i checked my fluid and its not leaking. i got under the car to look at the rack and pinion and they were no obvious signs of wear or fluid leaks. i looked at the hydraulic pump and again no leaks or signs of obvious wear so im at a loos as far as what to do. the car has about 115k on it. what do u guys thinks it cud be or wat shud i be looking for? wat kind of tests can i do to try to figure this problem out? if its the rack i want to be sure before i go spending 300 and not fix the problem. so if anyone has some expertise on this id great appreciate it thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Any noises? Is the belt new?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yes its a new belt and its really not noisy at all i can barley hear a faint noise when im in the parking lot really strugglin to turn the wheel.

I Support ClubWRX
    If the belt tension is correct check for bubbles coming out the reservoir, and if so bleed. Otherwise I'm at a loss.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so its possible that air can get into the system just randomly even thought it was working fine last week? will i see the air bubbles when the car idles or is this a 2 person job where i need to turn the wheel nd have the other look at the res?

I Support ClubWRX
    No it's not possible, and it's a 2 person job. I'm grasping at straws.

With that age it could be anything. Air would cause it to make "whining" noises, so that does not seem to be the problem. It's a sprocket type pump, will build huge pressure and has valves "down there" at the rack. If pump is blown or valves are not opening you'd end up with this issue. You could take the return line off and see if fluid comes back. If the return is clogged in the cylinder you would just take that line off and go in with a wire to break up and clean out the crud. But before that, if there is no return flow, check the supply side from the pump. It's possible for the pump to be broken and turn "empty", meaning not actually pumping, only turning. That would require replacement of pump.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

ok cool ill def try that and see what happens thank you guys so much!