2.5 Hybrid Not reaching full boost

This is a discussion on 2.5 Hybrid Not reaching full boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I've got an 03 wagon with an EJ257 short block/2.0 heads machined out to 2.5 by Equilibrium tuning, ...

2.5 Hybrid Not reaching full boost

Hey all, I've got an 03 wagon with an EJ257 short block/2.0 heads machined out to 2.5 by Equilibrium tuning, STi pink injectors, stock turbo and intercooler, AEM short ram intake, and a TBE. Tuned by EFI. Has been running great for a long time now, but recently I used it quite heavily (mileage wise, not gas pedal wise), and now it only hits about 12 psi (tuned to 18.5) I can't see any obvious holes in hoses, and havent had a chance to hook up a smoke machine to it to test for leaks. I took a few screenshots of LearningView logs, but they haven't really told me much. Hoping you guys might be able to help me figure this out.

I apologize for the lack of information on the logs; snowy roads and lack of boost means its hard to get through one gear for logging, let alone more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LearningView_SS_11-29-2013 10 01 34 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	124218
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LearningView_SS_11-29-2013 10 03 47 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	124226

Thanks in advance, if theres any questions or more information I should provide, or any suggestions, just let me know. Thanks!

Edit: I dunno if it's really possible, but an idea I had was maybe ice in a hose? I did drive a long way in the rain, and dont have a splash guard under my engine at the moment. AEM Ram air intake, but not a cold air.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Test for a boost leak.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

That's kinda what I figured. I'm not sure if I can find a smoke machine to use anytime soon, but I'll try. I'll let you guys know the results when I do. Thanks donkey

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need a smoke machine for a boost leak test. A smoke machine is primarily used for vacuum leaks. They are two different things to some degree.
    HOW TO TEST A SUBARU by turboboostleaktesters.com
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would just cap off the intake with a boost leak tester and shoot some compressed air in it..

Well that's helpful, thanks! But, I've got bigger issues than that. Sounds a whole lot like the compressor wheel is scraping the inside of the housing, so tomorrow I'm gonna rip it apart and confirm the problem. Might do TGV deletes while I'm at it, and will almost certainly do a silicone turbo inlet and intercooler hoses. Once theres a new turbo and hoses, if the problem persists I'll do the boost leak test. For now, she's parked.

(Edit: I recognize that the boost leak could very well be what lead to the turbo issue- Im hoping between a new turbo, the intercooler hoses, and the turbo inlet hose, it will fix the boost leak. If not, I'll check the remaining possible places for a leak before really driving the vehicle).

Thanks for your help so far!