Low on coolant
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low on coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch. I just noticed yesterday that I am low on coolant. Oil ...

Low on coolant

So I have a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch. I just noticed yesterday that I am low on coolant. Oil is not milky so I don't believe it's a gasket and only get steam out of the exhaust on cold days. I am taking it to the dealer tonight seeing that it is still under warranty. My question is do you guys have any suggestions on where else I should look for a leak? Oh yea and there is no sign of a leak in my garage where it is kept. Any suggestion would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you check the level in the reservoir when the engine was hot or before starting the car?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It was before I started the car. It was well below the add line. I'm just a little puzzled. This shouldn't happen on a car with less than 13,000 miles right.

I Support ClubWRX
    What is the level like after the engine is hot? Check on level ground.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I will check it when I get to the dealership after work but I can't imagine it would go up too much if at all. Shouldn't it get lower with it circulating?

I Support ClubWRX
    Coolant expands. So it should be higher when the engine gets hot.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ok I will check it after driving it and let you know. I hope this is just my paranoia.

How far below the Add line?...it's not uncommon to have to add a bit of coolant and/or distilled water now and then on any water cooled vehicle. You should be checking it a minimum of once a month along with your oil level, brake fluid reservoir level and air pressures. If you are losing coolant but have no visible leak, you may have a small hole in a coolant line/hose and it is evaporating as it leaks out...look for coolant residue.
    Last edited by WRX Piloti; 11-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Well put me in a dress and call me Sally. When it's warm the coolant level is right in the middle of the reservoir. I always thought you were supposed to fill and check it when cold.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, Sally.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1232 View Post
    Well put me in a dress and call me Sally. When it's warm the coolant level is right in the middle of the reservoir. I always thought you were supposed to fill and check it when cold.
    Cold it should be between the add and full lines, it should be in your manual...

I was actually just going through the manual. It does say to check when cold. It is at the bottom of the reservoir when cold. I guess I will need to have it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1232 View Post
    I was actually just going through the manual. It does say to check when cold. It is at the bottom of the reservoir when cold. I guess I will need to have it checked out.
    Get some premixed coolant (50/50 coolant & water), add to the full line when cold and see what happens...if it goes down within a couple of days then have it checked out, otherwise it's probably okay...btw, when was the last time you checked the coolant before you noticed it was low?

Last I checked it was about a month or two ago. I haven't had the car for that long. But I didn't make it over to the dealership yesterday but I am going to call them today. The manual says that it has subaru's super coolant in it and adding any other coolant or water will shorten the life of their coolant. I would rather not risk any expensive repairs. I will see what they say and let you guys know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.