Low on coolant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low on coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch. I just noticed yesterday that I am low on coolant. Oil ...

Low on coolant

So I have a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch. I just noticed yesterday that I am low on coolant. Oil is not milky so I don't believe it's a gasket and only get steam out of the exhaust on cold days. I am taking it to the dealer tonight seeing that it is still under warranty. My question is do you guys have any suggestions on where else I should look for a leak? Oh yea and there is no sign of a leak in my garage where it is kept. Any suggestion would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you check the level in the reservoir when the engine was hot or before starting the car?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It was before I started the car. It was well below the add line. I'm just a little puzzled. This shouldn't happen on a car with less than 13,000 miles right.

I Support ClubWRX
    What is the level like after the engine is hot? Check on level ground.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I will check it when I get to the dealership after work but I can't imagine it would go up too much if at all. Shouldn't it get lower with it circulating?

I Support ClubWRX
    Coolant expands. So it should be higher when the engine gets hot.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ok I will check it after driving it and let you know. I hope this is just my paranoia.

How far below the Add line?...it's not uncommon to have to add a bit of coolant and/or distilled water now and then on any water cooled vehicle. You should be checking it a minimum of once a month along with your oil level, brake fluid reservoir level and air pressures. If you are losing coolant but have no visible leak, you may have a small hole in a coolant line/hose and it is evaporating as it leaks out...look for coolant residue.
    Last edited by WRX Piloti; 11-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Well put me in a dress and call me Sally. When it's warm the coolant level is right in the middle of the reservoir. I always thought you were supposed to fill and check it when cold.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, Sally.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1232 View Post
    Well put me in a dress and call me Sally. When it's warm the coolant level is right in the middle of the reservoir. I always thought you were supposed to fill and check it when cold.
    Cold it should be between the add and full lines, it should be in your manual...

I was actually just going through the manual. It does say to check when cold. It is at the bottom of the reservoir when cold. I guess I will need to have it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1232 View Post
    I was actually just going through the manual. It does say to check when cold. It is at the bottom of the reservoir when cold. I guess I will need to have it checked out.
    Get some premixed coolant (50/50 coolant & water), add to the full line when cold and see what happens...if it goes down within a couple of days then have it checked out, otherwise it's probably okay...btw, when was the last time you checked the coolant before you noticed it was low?

Last I checked it was about a month or two ago. I haven't had the car for that long. But I didn't make it over to the dealership yesterday but I am going to call them today. The manual says that it has subaru's super coolant in it and adding any other coolant or water will shorten the life of their coolant. I would rather not risk any expensive repairs. I will see what they say and let you guys know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast