2005 STi won't start. Possible fuel line issues.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2005 STi won't start. Possible fuel line issues. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, I'm a total noob, so please go easy on me, but I've used this site before to help me ...

2005 STi won't start. Possible fuel line issues.

Alright, I'm a total noob, so please go easy on me, but I've used this site before to help me do routine maintenance on my STi, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.

My 2005 STi is completely stock and only has about 65k miles on it, it runs great, I keep it well maintained, and I've never had any problems with it. This morning it wouldn't start. The engine would crank, but it wouldn't turn over, so I know it's not the battery. I also doubt it's having problems getting spark, since I just did a tune up on it in June and replaced all the spark plugs. After a bit of google, it seems I might have an issue with the fuel line? But there are so many components to the fuel system, so I was hoping some one might be able to walk me through trouble shooting what might be going wrong. I've already checked all the fuses (apparently #11 is associated with the fuel pump), but none have blown. From a visual inspection of the supply and return lines in the engine, there doesn't seem to be any physical connection issues. Some people have mentioned having problems with the fuel pump control unit located in the trunk. I really have no idea where to start or what to look for. Can someone tell me what I should check, in what order, and how to do so? I have basic tools, and I'll rent or buy tools and parts as necessary, but I can't afford to take it to a shop.

Other info that may or may not be relevant:
    -It's pretty cold today, but at 27 degrees F, I don't think that would be cold enough to cause any issues.
    -The car was in a flood back in August. The water didn't come as high as the dash, but I had to take it to a Subaru dealer to get it running again. Though $2,000 later, it seemed to be back to its old form, running as good as new, and has been running great since then. But I've read that cars that are flooded can have electronic issues crop up long after the initial flood, so it might be possible that something is funky with the computer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    After it's sat for a while and you then turn the key you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming, a whiz or whine from the back. Does the fuel pump prime?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

exactly how much flooding did the car sustain ??? You might want to check the contacts to the fuel pump. After you ascertain if it's priming what SD_GR said ^ you can also try dry gas.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I can't hear the fuel pump going when I turn the ignition to ON. So I guess the fuel pump is either faulty or not getting power. Are there ways to check the electronic components that get power to the fuel pump? Cogito, where are the contacts to the fuel pump you're talking about?

I hope I don't need a new fuel pump, because replacing one is probably beyond my ability, and having it replaced probably beyond my budget.

It's cold out now, how old is the battery/when was it replaced last? or did the dealer replace stuff like that when the car had gotten flooded?

Quote Originally Posted by mestizomagic View Post
    ...This morning it wouldn't start. The engine would crank, but it wouldn't turn over, so I know it's not the battery. ...
    So, does the starter turn the engine over or not? It's possible to have just enough power to turn the engine but not enough to drive fuel injection and ignition...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    So, does the starter turn the engine over or not? It's possible to have just enough power to turn the engine but not enough to drive fuel injection and ignition...
    This is what I was getting at!

I Support ClubWRX
    You guys may be right. I'd not considered it may yet be a weak battery and/or bad connection.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^ First time in the cold is when batteries die... might be good all summer, even half dead, but once it gets cold...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

What is it with 2005 STIs and floods?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.