Cabin temperature is way too hot when it is cold outside

This is a discussion on Cabin temperature is way too hot when it is cold outside within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2009 STI with a problem since the day I bought it, every time the temperature outside gets ...

Cabin temperature is way too hot when it is cold outside

I have a 2009 STI with a problem since the day I bought it, every time the temperature outside gets really cold and I'm driving on the highway the cabin of my car overheats. When the car is parked in their shop the dealership technicians stick a thermometer in the vents then say the temperature is normal, they do not test it in the cold or on the highway.

Today it was -19 Celsius (2 Fahrenheit) and I had to open my window a little to cool down the cabin of my car while I was driving on the highway. If I set the temperature knob to 20 Celsius my cabin overheats however if I set the temperature knob to the next setting (absolute coldest) then it just draws in fresh really cold air from outside and I freeze, there is no in between setting.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this problem, my wife doesn't want to ride in the car because it gets so hot and the dealership technicians have no interest in fixing the problem.

Winter has just started and I'm already frustrated with the car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you obstructed the cabin temp sensor?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Have you obstructed the cabin temp sensor?
    It has been this way right from day one and the dealer says the sensor is not obstructed but they also say there is no problem and I'm not sure what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksean View Post
    If I set the temperature knob to 20 Celsius my cabin overheats however if I set the temperature knob to the next setting (absolute coldest) then it just draws in fresh really cold air from outside and I freeze, there is no in between setting.
    And that is exactly the problem. Don't know where you are but, on the US models, 65 (~20C) is the lowest setting before drawing in air at exterior temperature. There is nothing in between. It's one of my major irritations with the car and a huge design flaw to think that nobody would want to sit at 50, or 55.

I Support ClubWRX
    How about just turning the heat off when it get's too hot and then on when it begins to get too cold? The heat doesn't need to always be on.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    roll the windows down and let the cold air in. problem solved! :P

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Set the fan control to "automatic". That runs the fan slow initially, when engine temp rises the fan picks up and it heats until setpoint is reached, fan slows down and just maintains. At least that's how it works in my 09WRX. I'm OK with the lowest setting, the wife wants is higher, so it's fine for my needs.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    roll the windows down and let the cold air in. problem solved! :P
    What if the windows don't go down at the same speed!?!?!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I have 2 cars with the Subaru climate control.

What I have noticed

1.The XT has the newer digital temp controls. I set it at 75F-78F(Auto) & it is quite comfortable. When it is cold outside, the heater blows hot air on high till it becomes comfortable & then the blower(on low) just maintains set temperature.

2. On the WRX that has a manual Climate control if I were to turn the knob to 75F-78F(Auto) I'd be fried from all the hot air that keeps blowing. I found that by setting the temp to 70F(Auto),I can avoid this.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I have 2 cars with the Subaru climate control.

What I have noticed

1.The XT has the newer digital temp controls. I set it at 75F-78F(Auto) & it is quite comfortable. When it is cold outside, the heater blows hot air on high till it becomes comfortable & then the blower(on low) just maintains set temperature.

2. On the WRX that has a manual Climate control if I were to turn the knob to 75F-78F(Auto) I'd be fried from all the hot air that keeps blowing. I found that by setting the temp to 70F(Auto),I can avoid this.
    I can't tell from the original post whether the OP is using the auto climate control feature or not? Assuming the 09 STI had it.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I can't tell from the original post whether the OP is using the auto climate control feature or not? Assuming the 09 STI had it.
    I don't think it matters. I *think* what he meant was that, like me, 65 was too warm for him. So if it's 2 outside, your choices are to freeze or to roast. When it's cold outside, blowing 65 air into the cabin makes me feel like I can't breath, it's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I don't think it matters. I *think* what he meant was that, like me, 65 was too warm for him. So if it's 2 outside, your choices are to freeze or to roast. When it's cold outside, blowing 65 air into the cabin makes me feel like I can't breath, it's horrible.
    Ok, I understand that.

Just never had that issue personally. When it would be cold out and I'd set the climate control to 65 or a bit above. It would blast for a bit, then eventually peter out to a trickle and I was comfy.
    - Will

These cars run hot. Use the Cabin circulation button and set the temp down to around 70. Don't do the "fresh air" option as that will just pass engine heat into the cabin. This has resolved the problem for me.

That and I'll just drop the window down for a couple minutes.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats" -Ying

Actually, I find the WRX's system to be at least on par with anything else I've had over the years. It heats well (without overheating so far), but it also cools well in the summer with A/C.

OK, I think I figured out the initial issue: when the engine warms up and the heating starts up it's blowing HOT air into the cabin, this is a LOT warmer than the temp setpoint on the dial in the dash. It keeps blowing HOT until the temp sensor inside the cabin gets close to what the temp is set to. then is slows down and maintains the temp. Personally, I rather like it when my car was parked in 20 degrees all day and is stone-cold when I get in. I actually enjoy the heat and then it settles down to just keeping me comfy. Since the sensor is inside the dash, the only way to change this would be to remove the sensor and put it somewhere outside the dash - in the cabin. Or to just control the fan manually and keep it from heating that fast.