Subaru WRX Forum banner

Radiator Cap

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
hey guys i just a got an 02 wry sedan yesterday and it runs perfectly fine only thing is is that the radiator fluid boils up and my friend thats a mechanic said that it looks to be just the radiator cap thats stuck so i need a new one, do they sell them in stores like auto parts stores and playing like that? I'm aware you can find them online but i need that car to be working fine already since i need a car to drive so kind of hoping to find one in a store, and if not is there any other car that uses the same radiator cap that i can buy?? thanks for your help guys

#2 ·
It's supposed to hold a certain pressure. And there's 2 of them, one on the radiator and one by the turbo. Both of them have to hold pressure. Auto parts stores should have them, and it should be fairly inexpensive. The pressure keeps the coolant from turning into steam, aka bubbles. The temp is controlled by T-stat but the pressure keeps it from boiling. So go get the right caps just to be sure about this.

#7 ·
i changed the one thats by the turbo which one is the other one? i didn't see any cap on the radiator itself i saw one in front of it thats a little resivior tank the cap says "Coolant" on top but its the plastic yellow caps and aren't those stuck to the tank which means you'd have to buy a new tank? the bubble and steam issue got better not fully but you can't hear and bubbles anymore just see a bit of steam not a lot though you have to really pay attention to it to see it, and my temp gauge doesn't read the car hot either but it works it goes up when you turn the car on to a normal temp

#3 ·
Or stop by your local Subaru dealer's parts department. They shouldn't be that expensive.

#8 · (Edited)
The 02 was sold with only one cap, not two. Later cars had two caps. If the steam won't stop suspect the rad itself. Have your mechanic friend pressure test the system.

Also, many years ago Subaru released a TSB notice stating phantom coolant leaks were possible from the top hose. A remote possibility. The cure was to replace the hose and clamp, before replacing the rad as well, if all else failed.

Pressure test. If it passes but still leaks then replace top hose and clamp. If it fails replace whatever fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.