head gasket leaking coolant! on my WRX

This is a discussion on head gasket leaking coolant! on my WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello! since I bought the car i keep smelling coolant, and when the radiator cracked and there was coolant residue ...

head gasket leaking coolant! on my WRX

Hello! since I bought the car i keep smelling coolant, and when the radiator cracked and there was coolant residue under the fans i thought that there was where the smell was coming from, after installing the aluminum radiator, bleeding and burping the system, the coolant smell persisted so I proceded to rinse the engine bay to eliminate and flush any coolant residue left over from the swap, today the smell got even more intense so I jacked the car up ,got under it, and to my surprise there was fresh coolant leaking behind the oil pan ( two lower bolts by the crossmember), follow the coolant trail and found that it was leaking from the left side bank dripping down to the crossmember, it looks as if it has been leaking for a while (), the car only have 70k miles, is this usual for a car that has full service record with such low miles?, I am a bit disappointed and discouraged about it, the previous owner told me that he will take care of fixing it with no cost to me other than parts, I might be involved in the process since I am a Ducati master tech, what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

German Silva

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Uh...I think you should replace it? Welcome to owning a vehicle. There are several other places I'd check before the head gasket though.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

check the head gasket, when buying a performance vehicle secondhand, one of the drawbacks is that you really wont know how hard the car has been driven by the previous owner, no matter how good a sales pitch they throw at you. The first think is check if the coolant bottle is discoloured with black gunk, if so, dont delay put a new head gasket .

Hi Drew! I have owned many many kinds of vehicles, and actually own 2 Land Rovers, and a Subie forester, none of the cars that I own or that had in the past has given me any trouble at all.....

Hi Moe! when i bought my WRX it actually looked as if was taken out of the showroom, inside out, recently service, I even got under the front and back of the car , did not see a leak at all , and for all all the fluids they were just replaced, including timing belts and tensioners, and a very long test drive over Angeles Crest with the owner!