Subaru WRX Forum banner

my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!!

10K views 58 replies 11 participants last post by  spoolinx86 
#1 ·
i just went and dropped 720 bucks canadian on a new Version 3 COBB AP to get my car to stage one. I get home, Update the AP firmware. Plug it into my car and it asks to confirm if my wrx is a 2008 usdm!!
I cancelled the instal of the AP as me saying yes wont this flash y car with a map for a 2008 when my car is supposed to be a 2009, The model under the hood clearly say 2009 MY. Can anyone please help me with this. I am really starting to panic as I have been thinking my wrx is a 2008 brcause of some other things I noticed. Under the Suburu warranty it did come online in dec 2008 accoding to the records. But the vin and the sticker say its a 2009!!
please tell me i do have a real 2009 with 265 HP. If its a 2008 than I have 220 HP or something right.

#3 ·
I notice you're in Canada, is it a Canadian car? If so do you have a sunroof?

In 2009 Subaru made 2 WRX's in Canada, the WRX and the WRX265. The WRX was basically a 08 WRX and the 265 had the upgraded turbo/suspension. It also came with a sunroof and 6 cd player.

#4 ·
I have no sunroof. I just swapped out the stock deck, but very sure it was a 6 stack. Like i said under the hood the sticker says 2009 MY, Also When I phoned suburu canada about the warranty I gave them the VIN, It showed up as a 2009 Hatch. Thats when they told me it had its 5 year warranty is up this dec.

#6 ·
If you don't have a sunroof then you have a WRX with 224 hp not 265. Again this only applies for Canadian models. So it would be the same as a 08.

To be sure that the AP will work properly contact Cobb they will be able to confirm that it will work or not. Just explain to them you have a Canadian version of the 2009 WRX with 224hp (the same as the impreza gt in the states).

#7 ·
If i go ahead and confirm that its a 2008 on the AP, will the HP and TQ show up on the guages when I have the gauges working!! I am going to greak out if i dont have the a 265 HP. When I bought this car I specifically avoided lots of 2008 for this reason. I found a stock 2009 and was happy to have a unmolested WRX to screw up all on by myself.

#11 ·
Let me count:
2009-10-11-12-13-14
0 ... - 1- 2 - 3 - 4 - 5...

2008-09-10-11-12-13-14
0 ... - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - ...
So it must have started the warranty in Dec 2008, and that's about right. Subaru sells cars a year in advance. If you buy a car in the second half of a given year it goes as the following years model. You still have a MY09, but it was actually made in 08... So you still SHOULD have the 265 HP model... But I can't be positive, A265 (above) leaves it wide open...

#13 ·
I also dont have the alloy pedals, or the sti wing. yes its a hatch but it is not the sti wing. i also dont have the wrx red stitching on the front seats or the red stitching on the steering wheel. These are not huge things, Just more of a indicator that something is wrong. Every review i see of the 2009 wrx has all things i listed plus the 265 motor!!

#16 ·
^read that. You don't have the WRX265. Sounds like you didn't research enough before making your decision. Interesting though. Never knew Canada did that.

#19 ·
Well, Now I am officially pissed. After reading that suburu memo its clear that I do indeed have the 225WRX. i wanna go after the dealership but they will claim ignorance etc...Now I am am stuck with this car with its extended warranty till it hits 200,000 km. And if I wanna get more power I am looking a some expensive modding. Which after todays expense I have to wait and save some more for at least a down pipe. Man oh man. i did research, I guess not enough though. Thanks for all help guys.

#20 ·
Did the dealership say they were selling a WRX265?

There were HP distinctions in several markets for previous models also (e.g., STi 260, STi 330) so it's not unusual for a Subaru. However not everyone knows about all that; I'd be surprised if all the salespeople knew.

#21 ·
I had been searching for a 2009-2010 in my price range for a few weeks. I found it on auto trader first. It was a add from a car lot. They had just received it. They had the add up before any pictures. Just stating it was a 2009 wrx. With turbo, AWD 265 HP, 77000 km. I phoned them to make sure it wasnt a 2008. They assured me it was a 2009. I remember asking if it had the 265 HP motor as I was making sure it wasnt a GT. But as soon as i saw it was a manual I knew it wasnt a GT. So I assumed it had to be the 265 HP being that that it was a 2009. I suppose I should have done more research. but i was also really needing a car and when I found the right year price and KMS I jumped and bought it. I am very upset now. As there were a few other 2008 models for 16000-17000. I ended up passing on those as they were only the 2008. So I am out the few extra thousand, And 40 HP!!!!!,
And better suspension. And it seems to get the 40 HP now I need to spend over a few thousand. which will void my warranty if I do.. overall a very sad moment for me. With the extended warranty it came to almost 24000 with taxes in. Ya my warranty is good till it hits 200,000 with no time limit. anyway, Enough bitching for now.

#22 ·
unfortunate situation, but if youre that upset about the lack of a HP.. forget your warranty and get a turboback exhaust and a custom tune. do some suspension work & you'll be golden.

my rule of thumb even for those of us who have the 265 to start, is do not mod to a certain HP number- mod until you ENJOY your car. numbers dont mean much. you could have 600 bajillion horsepower but if your car runs like ****, it doesn't really matter.

#24 ·
All you need to improve power is add a downpipe if you have an accessport...Stage 2. Downpipe won't cost you more than a few hundred bucks. What is the "Thousands" you are talking about?

Or sell the car and start over? But $3500 for an extended warranty??? Hell no I wouldn't have done that...

#25 ·
I had a 2008 WRX. Don't even worry about the HP. Torque is what really matters anyway. Like everyone else is saying...swap out the exhaust, intake (if you want a little noise) and get a good (PRO)tune. You can safely squeeze 16-17PSI out of the stock turbo and get 290WTQ (Mustang AWD Dyno) at about 2800RPM. Believe me, it's plenty. Throw on some sways and maybe some stiffer springs are you're good to go. I enjoyed my 2008!

#26 ·
I went to the suburu dealership today. They really couldnt tell me anything other than it is a 2009. He has no idea why the ecu is coming up with a 2008.
I did test drive a true 265 HP WRX 2009. it had all the other stuff mine doesn't. It also has a COBB cat back exhaust. I didnt hammer on it, but I think if this has 265 hp I would have really noticed a added 40 HP right. And when I did a few hard pulls I kinda think mine is the same if not a tad quicker!! So not sure WTF is going on here. This WRX had the Alloy pedals, the STI wing, It is a hatch back like mine. The red stichting around steering wheel, The red WRX stiching on the Seats with the big WRX in red. Plus identical engine bay, Except it had a COBB turbo heat shield. The turbos looked very similar in size. I couldnt see the markings on it to compare it to mine. But it looked very similar to what I have under my hood.
My point is I dont know what is going on. I want to install the COBB AP on my car but it is still asking if I have a 2008!! What would you do. Do I confirm on the AP that its a 2008 and load a stage 1 2008 Map. But wont this map be set up for a 225 HP motor. Could this not cause more damage. The suburu dealership had no answer as to why the AP is saying its a 2008. He went on his computer and looked at the VIN. My car was built sept 09 2008. So he was very sure that I do infact have a 2009. He further said if he was ordering any parts for it that they would be ordered for a 2009. This is how sure he was. And this guy is the parts manager at this suburu lot. He would know wouldnt he.
So how would you proceed people. Install the AP with the 2008 MAP!!
As I said I couldnt tell the difference between my WRX and the Real 265 HP 2009 WRX that was at the car lot. And I think I would be able to feel a added 40 HP. But I couldnt, And I would say that mine felt a little quicker. How can I be sure 100% what motor I have in my car.

#27 ·
Given that the 2008s were similar to the 2009 225hp models, they probably used all the same hardware, including ECU, ergo why it was saying so.

Load the map. Data log. If it doesn't run correctly or you're seeing issues, then go back to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.