my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yes, your car has the smaller turbo (engine is the same). It's hard to see from that angle, but if ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, your car has the smaller turbo (engine is the same). It's hard to see from that angle, but if you look at the wastegate actuator flange and the mounting position of the nipple on the compressor outlet you can tell. I didn't take any of the pictures, just googled them..

Sorry to confirm the bad news, but not all is lost. The td04-19t is still a good turbo, and if you really want the larger turbo you can pick one up in good condition for about $500. The VF52 won't be as responsive on the street though, and it will take a little longer to spool up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    This is a picture the COBB tuning guy sent me. He asked if I had the adjustable wastegate actuator arm like in the pic. And mine does not look like the one in the pic that he sent.

He's asking if the arm is threaded or not.. which cannot be seen in any of your pics because that part is under the heat shield (the pic he sent you is not of a Subaru turbo).

Further identifying features I've noticed, and probably the easiest to point out.. the front face of the wastegate actuator itself on the td04 has a bump in it where the nipple goes in, and a depressed ring around the middle, both of which can be seen in your pics. The actuator on the IHI VF52 is completely flat across the front. That's something very easy to see..

Ohh.. and the nipple for the td04 enters from the side of the actuator, on the VF52 it goes right in the center. Looking at the wastegate actuators it's obvious.

zax
    Yep, definitely the TD04-19T.

Still a great turbo. If you're really upset, pick up a cheap VF52!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I went to a shop around the corner and borrowed his camera. those ones on a cable. my point. I managed to find two part numbers
    14411aa749a770a
    1d04l08
    that was all I could see. does this help? I know two of you clearly said from my pics you could tell it was in fact a smaller turbo.
    do these part numbers give a difinative answer? I am not trying to second guess anyone here. I just need to be 100% sure I do have a 2008 usdm like the ap port wants me to confirm it to install.

Umm.. I'm fairly certain you have a 2009 CDM WRX. Whether or not the map for a 2008 USDM model will work on it would be a good question for the guys at Cobb. I have a strong suspicion that you are supposed to use the 2008 USDM ECU definitions, since I've never seen CDM definitions, I'm willing to bet you guys get the same ECUs as us. I also think it would be pretty unlikely that the AP would ever detect the wrong ECU because it's reading an identifier right off of the ECU.

"Ok. So, the TD04 turbo is the turbo that came on the 08 WRX. So, the Accessport is correct in identifying your vehicle. Your vehicle does not have the 2009 MY WRX Turbo. That turbo is a VF52. So you will be fine installing the Accessport on your vehicle. It sounds like you have one of the rare few 2008 MY vehicles sold as a 2009 MY in Canada."

that is a email I just recieved from cobb tuning support. I sent them the pics I have and the part numbers. so that from the horses mouth. I am let down. very weird how I really coukd not feel the difference yesterday when I test drove a legit 2009 wrx with 265 hp. as I stated mine felt a tad quicker. so I can now look for the upgraded turbo and a dp and go for my stage two. thanks to all who helped and replied with info.
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 11-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.

so I can now look for the upgraded turbo and a dp and go for my stage two.

No, you cannot run a different turbo on a stage two map.

Your TD04 will spool up a tad quicker than the 09 VF52, so that will probably make it feel like its as quick or even "quicker." In reality, it's not as quick or powerful, but the quickness just comes on sooner.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I suppose there is at least one upside to this. I can now tell my insurance that I don't have a 2009 wrx 265. right now my insurance is very high as I told them it is a 2009 265
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 11-14-2013 at 01:39 PM.

I just installed the AP. put stage 1 91 oct map. they only have 91 oct in this hick town. i am tempted to put a can of octane boost in with my full tank of 91 and put on the 93 oct map. Is that a bad idea. anyone think its safe to do.
    I did a few good pulls to see any changes. No redline clutch drops for me. Yes I noticed the power change. it doesnt run out of power at 4000-4500 like before. It pulls good up to 6000. I usually dont go much higher than 6000 rpm. I can hear the turbo a little better too, seems a little louder. But boost topped out at 13.1 psi. i would have though it would have pushed a bit more boost than that. Anyways. Just wanna thank all who helped me on this thread. I still am frustrated that I over paid for a 2008 WRX thats labeled a 2009 wrx. i could have saved myself at least 2500-3000 if not more on a 2008.

i am tempted to put a can of octane boost in with my full tank of 91 and put on the 93 oct map. Is that a bad idea. anyone think its safe to do.

That is a very bad idea, not safe at all. You could put five cans of octane booster in your tank, you will end up with something like 91.2 octane.

for the price of this AP i could have bought a DP and prolly got a pro tune. hind sight hey, alwayz 20/20 lol.
    Thanx again for the heads up. Wont be doing the 93 oct map till i can find better gas.

1998 Subaru Impreza Version 6 type RA Sti - Oakville / Halton Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

I could sell my ride for at least 17000. Buy this. And use some of left over 10000 to fix it. And I would be ripping around. what to do guys.

1998 Subaru Impreza Version 6 type RA Sti - Oakville / Halton Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

I could sell my ride for at least 17000. Buy this. And use some of left over 10000 to fix it. And I would be ripping around. what to do guys.
    Here's the URL link: 1998 Subaru Impreza Version 6 type RA Sti - Oakville / Halton Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Plasma Blue Pearl)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234