my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is there a difference between a 2008 and a 2009 AP. Because on my invoice receipt sheet for the AP ...

is there a difference between a 2008 and a 2009 AP. Because on my invoice receipt sheet for the AP it says 2008 wrx

But on the COBB website it says that the 2008 covers all 2008 all the up 2013

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cobb tuning just asked me if my turbo has a adjustable waste gate. But the waste gate is underneath the turbo the way its mounted.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    cobb tuning just asked me if my turbo has a adjustable waste gate. But the waste gate is underneath the turbo the way its mounted.
    That's a very easy way to tell the difference between a VF52 and TD04 assuming those two are the only options. BTW, they're asking if you have an adjustable wastegate actuator arm, not wastegate:

Mitsu turbos have adjustable actuator arms, while IHI turbos do not.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

i just had a good look. And there is no adjustable part on the waste gate that I can see. So now what does that mean. I am assuming because mine is not adjustable that i have the lower end of the two turbos.
    I just my answer to COBB via email. I am sure I wont get a answer till tomorrow though.

from what you just said, the IHI is the bigger turbo with no adjustable actuator arms, I am confusing myself.
    Face palm !!!!

zax
    i just had a good look. And there is no adjustable part on the waste gate that I can see. So now what does that mean. I am assuming because mine is not adjustable that i have the lower end of the two turbos.
    I just my answer to COBB via email. I am sure I wont get a answer till tomorrow though.
    There is no "lower end" and "upper end." Simply put, the VF52 (stock 2009+ WRX/265) that flows a little more air than the TD04-13T (stock 2002-2007 USDM WRX) and the TD04-19T (2008 USDM WRX and 2009 CDM WRX) is manufactured by IHI rather than MHI. MHI chooses to utilize an adjustable wastegate actuator arm while IHI does not. If indeed your turbo is OEM, it is manufactured by IHI from the data provided.

from what you just said, the IHI is the bigger turbo with no adjustable actuator arms, I am confusing myself.
    Face palm !!!!
    Yes, you are correct. The IHI VF52 flows more air (about 34 lbs/min) compared to the MHI TD04-19T (about 27 lbs/min). MHI utilizes adjustable wastegate actuator arms while IHI does not.

Facebook me here

this cobb AP is asking to be installed!!! I really dont think its a good Idea to install a 2008 map, as this is what the AP is asking me to confirm before i can install the AP is it. What would be the worse that can happen. I could just put the original map back on the car if something isnt right, correct. Or could i really do some damage to my car by doing that.

zax
    this cobb AP is asking to be installed!!! I really dont think its a good Idea to install a 2008 map, as this is what the AP is asking me to confirm before i can install the AP is it. What would be the worse that can happen. I could just put the original map back on the car if something isnt right, correct. Or could i really do some damage to my car by doing that.
    Hold your horses and wait for Cobb's response.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Facebook me here

2009 WRX turbo size - NASIOC
    i found this and there is some good info. esp this

FACT: The turbine and compressor are the same size dimensionally as the STi's VF39/43/48. The compressor cover is of the LGT/+08WRX fitment variety(2 bolt flange pointing at 12o'clock). It is NOT the same turbo as any model year STi however wheel dimensions & performance potential are the same as a stock STi turbo.

My turbo does not look like the pics of the
    VF52
    2009 2011 Subaru WRX IHL VF52 turbocharger New Genuine 14411AA800 | eBay

Or the
    VF39
    2004 2006 Subaru STI turbocharger IHI VF39 New Genuine 14411AA5729L | eBay

Take a picture, I'm confident you have a TD04. But a picture is worth a thousand words.

For what it's worth, your turbo will have markings on it identifying exactly what it is.. the first link you posted of the VF52 is pictures of a VF48, you can clearly see on the compressor housing it even says "VF48".

VF52

td04-19t with the Legacy style fitment

pics

here is a few pics. these are the best angle I can get. The heat shield covers alot. Hope this helps someone help identify which frickin turbo I have once and for all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00081.jpg   CAM00082.jpg   CAM00083.jpg  

Looks like a Mitsubishi td04-19t to me.. if you look at the mounting flange for the wastegate actuator, the compressor housing on the td04 has a protruding piece that is rounded on one side, the VF52 does not. I can see that piece in your pics.

Here's another example of the two side by side for further reference.

just for clarification. From your last post your thinking that I have the smaller turbo, So ihave the 225 HP motor/turbo.
    I apologize if my questions are Noobish, I really just want to be 100% certain which turbo i have.
    Cheers and thanx alot for taking the time to go and take pics of the parts you have.

pic from cobb tuning

This is a picture the COBB tuning guy sent me. He asked if I had the adjustable wastegate actuator arm like in the pic. And mine does not look like the one in the pic that he sent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adj. Wastegate arm.JPG  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast