my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on my wrx showing up wrong year on COBB AP!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ^read that. You don't have the WRX265. Sounds like you didn't research enough before making your decision. Interesting though. Never ...

^read that. You don't have the WRX265. Sounds like you didn't research enough before making your decision. Interesting though. Never knew Canada did that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The US had something similar but branded it as the Impreza GT, I might be wrong but the GT was only available in a Auto?

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    The US had something similar but branded it as the Impreza GT, I might be wrong but the GT was only available in a Auto?
    I knew that...and you are correct. The GT only had an automatic.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Well, Now I am officially pissed. After reading that suburu memo its clear that I do indeed have the 225WRX. i wanna go after the dealership but they will claim ignorance etc...Now I am am stuck with this car with its extended warranty till it hits 200,000 km. And if I wanna get more power I am looking a some expensive modding. Which after todays expense I have to wait and save some more for at least a down pipe. Man oh man. i did research, I guess not enough though. Thanks for all help guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did the dealership say they were selling a WRX265?

There were HP distinctions in several markets for previous models also (e.g., STi 260, STi 330) so it's not unusual for a Subaru. However not everyone knows about all that; I'd be surprised if all the salespeople knew.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I had been searching for a 2009-2010 in my price range for a few weeks. I found it on auto trader first. It was a add from a car lot. They had just received it. They had the add up before any pictures. Just stating it was a 2009 wrx. With turbo, AWD 265 HP, 77000 km. I phoned them to make sure it wasnt a 2008. They assured me it was a 2009. I remember asking if it had the 265 HP motor as I was making sure it wasnt a GT. But as soon as i saw it was a manual I knew it wasnt a GT. So I assumed it had to be the 265 HP being that that it was a 2009. I suppose I should have done more research. but i was also really needing a car and when I found the right year price and KMS I jumped and bought it. I am very upset now. As there were a few other 2008 models for 16000-17000. I ended up passing on those as they were only the 2008. So I am out the few extra thousand, And 40 HP!!!!!,
    And better suspension. And it seems to get the 40 HP now I need to spend over a few thousand. which will void my warranty if I do.. overall a very sad moment for me. With the extended warranty it came to almost 24000 with taxes in. Ya my warranty is good till it hits 200,000 with no time limit. anyway, Enough bitching for now.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    unfortunate situation, but if youre that upset about the lack of a HP.. forget your warranty and get a turboback exhaust and a custom tune. do some suspension work & you'll be golden.

my rule of thumb even for those of us who have the 265 to start, is do not mod to a certain HP number- mod until you ENJOY your car. numbers dont mean much. you could have 600 bajillion horsepower but if your car runs like ****, it doesn't really matter.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

hard to just forget the warranty. it was 3500. But I hear ya. I was almost happy the way it was. I got the access port because I want to feel the a better tune. I really thank all who replied. I am still going to hold out hope for what the COBB support says.

All you need to improve power is add a downpipe if you have an accessport...Stage 2. Downpipe won't cost you more than a few hundred bucks. What is the "Thousands" you are talking about?

Or sell the car and start over? But $3500 for an extended warranty??? Hell no I wouldn't have done that...

I had a 2008 WRX. Don't even worry about the HP. Torque is what really matters anyway. Like everyone else is saying...swap out the exhaust, intake (if you want a little noise) and get a good (PRO)tune. You can safely squeeze 16-17PSI out of the stock turbo and get 290WTQ (Mustang AWD Dyno) at about 2800RPM. Believe me, it's plenty. Throw on some sways and maybe some stiffer springs are you're good to go. I enjoyed my 2008!

I went to the suburu dealership today. They really couldnt tell me anything other than it is a 2009. He has no idea why the ecu is coming up with a 2008.
    I did test drive a true 265 HP WRX 2009. it had all the other stuff mine doesn't. It also has a COBB cat back exhaust. I didnt hammer on it, but I think if this has 265 hp I would have really noticed a added 40 HP right. And when I did a few hard pulls I kinda think mine is the same if not a tad quicker!! So not sure WTF is going on here. This WRX had the Alloy pedals, the STI wing, It is a hatch back like mine. The red stichting around steering wheel, The red WRX stiching on the Seats with the big WRX in red. Plus identical engine bay, Except it had a COBB turbo heat shield. The turbos looked very similar in size. I couldnt see the markings on it to compare it to mine. But it looked very similar to what I have under my hood.
    My point is I dont know what is going on. I want to install the COBB AP on my car but it is still asking if I have a 2008!! What would you do. Do I confirm on the AP that its a 2008 and load a stage 1 2008 Map. But wont this map be set up for a 225 HP motor. Could this not cause more damage. The suburu dealership had no answer as to why the AP is saying its a 2008. He went on his computer and looked at the VIN. My car was built sept 09 2008. So he was very sure that I do infact have a 2009. He further said if he was ordering any parts for it that they would be ordered for a 2009. This is how sure he was. And this guy is the parts manager at this suburu lot. He would know wouldnt he.
    So how would you proceed people. Install the AP with the 2008 MAP!!
    As I said I couldnt tell the difference between my WRX and the Real 265 HP 2009 WRX that was at the car lot. And I think I would be able to feel a added 40 HP. But I couldnt, And I would say that mine felt a little quicker. How can I be sure 100% what motor I have in my car.

Given that the 2008s were similar to the 2009 225hp models, they probably used all the same hardware, including ECU, ergo why it was saying so.

Load the map. Data log. If it doesn't run correctly or you're seeing issues, then go back to stock.

This is getting ridiculous.

Is there some reason that you haven't contacted Cobb?

Contact COBB Tuning

They have responded by email to questions I've posted from their web site, but it may have taken a day or two.

I can't guarantee that they will be able to address your question, but I'd expect them to.

I did contact COBB tuning. They are looking into as type this. They said to not instal a 2008 map, as if my car is a 2009 then the engine map could cause issues.
    And I agree this is getting beyond ridiculous.
    If i wanted a 225HP I could have bought a 2008 for about 3000-4000 less than the 19,900 I paid for my 2009.
    then, How would you feel dropping another 720 bucks on a COBB AP only to get home and go to install it to have the AP ask you to confirm that you have a 2008!! There is a major list of things that the 2009 has over the 2008. 40 HP for starters. 20 % stiffer springs. ETC...the list is big. Plus the added insult of over paying by a few thousand.
    Anyways....
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 11-13-2013 at 03:41 PM.

This is downright weird. The manufacturer does not know what HP a given car and engine has? WOW, just WOW...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.