Alarming low oil reading - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Alarming low oil reading within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i definitely will do that from now on. another question unrelated to my oil fiasco. i have a bad power ...

i definitely will do that from now on.

another question unrelated to my oil fiasco. i have a bad power steering pump and bought a replacement from an 06 sti. how hard is it to replace myself? i'll be honest, i have no experience in doing this.
    Chris
    238 whp on stock turbo - Stage 2
    05 l WRB l WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Get ahold of the factory service manual. What's easy for one might be not so easy for another. FYI - this thread is why the first mod I recommend is always a good set of gauges. EGT, Oil pressure and boost.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Get ahold of the factory service manual. What's easy for one might be not so easy for another. FYI - this thread is why the first mod I recommend is always a good set of gauges. EGT, Oil pressure and boost.
    what is EGT? i have a boost gauge that i havent installed yet. i was thinking of getting the oil temp as well. you suggest getting oil pressure and EGT?
    Chris
    05 l WRB l WRX

Exhaust Gas Temp

Oil Pressure is a lot better than oil temp (you already have a temp gauge in your cluster).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Here is some info EJ257 shared a while back. I personally do like oil pressure gauges because of my Z. But he had some good info here:

Boost: You have a turbo car; if you have one gauge, this is the one to have.
    WBO2: Useful for knowing accurate AFRs, where the factory sensor is useless at anything above moderate throttle
    EGT: I find it useful in self-tuning, but the end-user may not.
    Oil Pressure: Most oil pressure issues are sudden, and the gauge (along with the idiot light on the dash) tells you it's time for a new motor
    Oil Temp: I like having an OT gauge, as it tells me when it's safe to start enjoying the car. You want to wait until oil is up to operating temp for maximum lubrication. Without an oil temp gauge, a general rule to follow is that by the time your OE water temp gauge is up to operating temp, double the time, and oil is there.
    Water Temp: Useful if you're tracking the car, or if you need another gauge to fill space. I wouldn't bother on a street vehicle
    Voltage: Useful if you've got extensive electrical draws (e.g., big audio setup). Otherwise, meh.
    Fuel Pressure: For the most part, it will stay at a flat value. I wouldn't bother with this unless you get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and start adjusting.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Here is some info EJ257 shared a while back. I personally do like oil pressure gauges because of my Z. But he had some good info here:

Oil Pressure: Most oil pressure issues are sudden, and the gauge (along with the idiot light on the dash) tells you it's time for a new motor
    Oil Temp: I like having an OT gauge,....
    Truff, the message comes along with loss of power and grinding metal. Been there, done that... That's why running out of oil spells instant death, while running bad/cold/wrong oil "only" causes accelerated wear.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Truff, the message comes along with loss of power and grinding metal. Been there, done that... That's why running out of oil spells instant death, while running bad/cold/wrong oil "only" causes accelerated wear.
    Actually an oil pressure gauge will help you with diluted, worn out, and wrong oil. I use mine in the Z because I do have a minor leak down issue that I monitor, i.e. dilutes the oil causing pressure lose. But I felt the EJ257 post had a lot of great info overall, of value to everyone, particularly on gauges. I've made my choices... lol..
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Actually an oil pressure gauge will help you with diluted, worn out, and wrong oil.
    What in the holy hell are you talking about?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

[QUOTE=zax;3145906]What in the holy hell are you talking about?[/QUOTE

I have have a minor "fuel" leak down which gradually dilutes my oil, which I can monitor by oil pressure, until I can do the rings .... some day. Hope that helps.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Oh and yes I keep up on the oil changes.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    An oil pressure gauge could show the differences between oil viscosities depending on how accurate it is and the motor itself, yes. I had a Nissan in which I could immediately tell whether I was running 10W-30 or 20W-50 by the pressure indicated at freeway cruising speeds. I don't think the motor cared either way but it was still in decent shape.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I do tend to keep a look out for abruptly changing curves, but if I notice I'm continually slowly losing pressure I change the oil. Not desirable, but livable, until I can get the engine out to Dave Rebella, for porting. polishing, rings, and race tune. But like everyone else, I have other expenses, house, WRX, house, WRX, house...
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Boost: You have a turbo car; if you have one gauge, this is the one to have.
    WBO2: Useful for knowing accurate AFRs, where the factory sensor is useless at anything above moderate throttle
    EGT: I find it useful in self-tuning, but the end-user may not.
    Oil Temp: I like having an OT gauge, as it tells me when it's safe to start enjoying the car. You want to wait until oil is up to operating temp for maximum lubrication. Without an oil temp gauge, a general rule to follow is that by the time your OE water temp gauge is up to operating temp, double the time, and oil is there.
    Water Temp: Useful if you're tracking the car, or if you need another gauge to fill space. I wouldn't bother on a street vehicle
    Voltage: Useful if you've got extensive electrical draws (e.g., big audio setup). Otherwise, meh.
    Fuel Pressure: For the most part, it will stay at a flat value. I wouldn't bother with this unless you get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and start adjusting.
    Thank you for this info.... i'll most likely be doing gauges come this spring... i to feel the pain of other expenses... i.e. trying to get a house, bills, wrx and repeat....
    Chris
    05 l WRB l WRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12