Smoking from under the hood

This is a discussion on Smoking from under the hood within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went for a 10 mile drive today and once I got to my destination I got out and I ...

Smoking from under the hood

I went for a 10 mile drive today and once I got to my destination I got out and I smelled a burning rubber or burning smell in general. I didn't think anything of it until I got home and I noticed the smell again. I popped the hood and there was some smoke coming from the underside of the engine in the up pipe region. It's dark out and I couldn't really see up under the car with a flash light. Any ideas on what it could be off hand?

Car is completely stock.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Burn the clutch at all?

It does kinda smell clutchy as well but no I haven't burnt the clutch to my knowledge. I've just been casually driving it lately.

Does it smell more sweet or burning oil?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Does it smell more sweet or burning oil?
    I drove it today for a couple of miles and sat in traffic most of the time and I didn't smell it and it wasn't smoking. I believe it was more of a burning smell last night. It wasn't sweet.

I've done a little research and I'm thinking it could be the cv boot. I'm gonna look up in there tomorrow to check.

Ok well I got up under the car and noticed my cv boots were good. I looked up near the oil filter and the gasket on that was good. I looked up and noticed oil on the head area about the up pipe. I studied the other head and alas the source of the smoke and smell is the valve cover gasket. I called a shop and they quoted me $340 out the door to have them both replaced. Does that sound reasonable?

Oh yeah and here are the pictures of my findings