Strange noises in 03 STI

This is a discussion on Strange noises in 03 STI within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there, first post on the site, what a huge audience that this reaches out to, I must say! Anyways, ...

Strange noises in 03 STI

Hi there,

first post on the site, what a huge audience that this reaches out to, I must say!
    Anyways, my parents have recently purchased a WRX STI Sedan, 03 and lately we've been hearing some strange noises.

Noise number 1: A loud thudding noise as if something is banging around in the boot (which there isn't :P)
    Noise number 2: Regularly cruising around and it sounds like we're driving a plane? Seems like the wheels are letting off some weird, sustained humming noise as if you're taking off in a plane - hope that makes sense lol..

Anyways, I followed up the loud banging noise with the previous owner and this is how the conversation went:

[Me] Hey bro, the car makes this strange loud bumpy sound. Back left wheel maybe? Like something is moving around in the boot or something but there's nothing. Any ideas?

[Him] ohh its not left side its the center back the anti slip diff they make noises under low speed its perfectly fine, i got it checked by jtune when i purchased the car
    , they said its just a noisy diff, koz its anti slip.

Any ideas on what this could be, team?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Dampers were known to thud. As for the second noise, rotate the wheels to the front and see if that changes it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Dampers were known to thud. As for the second noise, rotate the wheels to the front and see if that changes it.
    Also get an alignment. Does the thudding get louder around corners and acceleration? If so it could be your axle/boot is shot.

Is the noise from the wheels a constant noise that gets louder the faster you go? If so when was the last time wheel bearings were changed?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    First Impressions, just conjecturing about.

Noise 1:
    LSD's can chatter and pop/clunk, although I have no experience with the STi and their diffs. So I don't know how much noise is normal for them. If you find a mechanic who is familiar with how they should sound they'll be able to easily tell if it's normal.

Otherwise, Axles worn out. bad shifting can cause a thud. struts/dampers, whatever they're actually called. rear diff bushings.

Noise 2: naturally Loud tires. bad tires. wheel bearings.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 11-10-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: mispellings....

Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    Is the noise from the wheels a constant noise that gets louder the faster you go? If so when was the last time wheel bearings were changed?
    ^+1 My thoughts too. However, still learning the WRX, but had thumping on both my Jeep, and Ford..... the culprit was bearings in both cases.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

sounds to me by the description , bad bearings and worn out bushings, my own opinion,,,,

I bought an 06 sti about a month an a half ago and i hear the same noise it sounds like someones tapping the side in the trunk, but when the wheels are off everything is tight?! Idk what it is either but yea same problem!

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

Took it in to the shop, appears to be the tires and axles.. Good answers you guys
    Last edited by Ben94; 11-23-2013 at 11:29 PM.