2012 WRX Clutch Pedal Creak

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX Clutch Pedal Creak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have ~31,000 miles on it currently and the past 5,000 miles my clutch pedal has been creaking. It sounds ...

2012 WRX Clutch Pedal Creak

I have ~31,000 miles on it currently and the past 5,000 miles my clutch pedal has been creaking. It sounds like it's coming from engine bay. It's not a squeak but a creak, and I put some WD-40 on the pedal pivot point and it still happens. My brake pedal also moves a bit to the left when pushing in the clutch.

I’ve saw multiple threads about this noise. From my searching and watching/listing to other people with this issue I believe I have the same problem of the firewall spot welds breaking. I’d like to get your guys feed back.

Last edited by naked_dave1; 11-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take off your wiper motor an have someone depress the clutch and watch the welds sway. You'll also see if any are broken yet

When my car started doing that, my clutch went. The dealer and myself thought it was at the pivot and lubricated it a few time to no avail. A month or so later I noticed my clutch slipping I am not certain that this is your problem as well, just sounds very similar to mine when it quit.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Take off your wiper motor an have someone depress the clutch and watch the welds sway. You'll also see if any are broken yet
    I'll be taking it to the dealer Monday. If they don't find anything I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    When my car started doing that, my clutch went. The dealer and myself thought it was at the pivot and lubricated it a few time to no avail. A month or so later I noticed my clutch slipping I am not certain that this is your problem as well, just sounds very similar to mine when it quit.
    That's not good... About how many miles did you have on your car when it started to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by naked_dave1 View Post
    That's not good... About how many miles did you have on your car when it started to happen?
    Around 25k miles, sadly. They told me the squeaking was from the clutch breaking down and putting dust into the pivot area. That is why once lubricated, it would clean it out, but start squeaking and groaning soon afterwards. If you want to check you clutch, put it in 5th get the rpms real low and go full throttle. At about peak torque, 3500-4500 area, if your rpms jump and the car doesn't accelerate, you have a bum clutch :/
    '11 WRX DGM

I believe I am having the same issue, did you ever find out what it was?
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

Mines slipping now too. I wonder if the clutch welds have something to do with premature clutch wear

my 2009 is doing the same thing now. It's a cracked firewall where the clutch is attached. Seems they used some really thin metal in that area. This is a common problem from 2008+ . Of course Subaru denies there is an issue. Doesn't matter if you have a stock or aftermarket clutch, it can still happen.

I had this happening on my 08 and the culprit was one of the bolts that holds the pedal assembly to the firewall/under dash area had worked itself loose. tightened it up and all was bueno.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Which bolt? If you remember. I'm going to take a look later...even if there's a small chance that it's a bolt and at least help the shifting

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmike09 View Post
    my 2009 is doing the same thing now. It's a cracked firewall where the clutch is attached. Seems they used some really thin metal in that area. This is a common problem from 2008+ . Of course Subaru denies there is an issue. Doesn't matter if you have a stock or aftermarket clutch, it can still happen.
    Had the dealer check out my problem since it's still covered by the Gold Plus extended warranty. Turned out to be broken firewall welds. At first SOA said they wouldn't cover it but I eventually got to a talk to a manager that agreed it was covered. End result is SOA paid to fix the welds and put in a new clutch and flywheel. This is a common problem on 2008-2010 models. Problem is made worse by use of aftermarket clutches with higher pedal pressures.