Valve cover gasket replaced...still leaking....

This is a discussion on Valve cover gasket replaced...still leaking.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this was the first time I ever did this repair, but I did a ton of research before hand ...

Valve cover gasket replaced...still leaking....

So this was the first time I ever did this repair, but I did a ton of research before hand so I felt very well informed and prepared. I bought all of the gaskets needed, including the half moons, oil separator gasket and new washers for the 8 bolts. I got fuji bond from the dealership which the sales guy Eddie was cool enough to give me a partially used tube for free. Thumbs up to Eddie (I only had enough money for the gaskets).

Anyway, I replaced the gaskets yesterday, put fuji bond where the gaskets sit, and a little on the gaskets that mate with the engine and let it sit for 24 hours to dry. Today I go out to start my car, and there was no oil leaking or anything. So I took my car out for a drive to see what happened when the oil was warmed up. When I stopped after maybe three minutes of driving I pulled into a parking lot, popped the hood and there was smoke coming out. I was not entirely too alarmed at first because when I removed the the valve cover yesterday some oil did leak onto the exhaust. Then I reached my hand down at the bottom of the valve cover, as careful as possible of course not to burn my hand, and there was a small feeble amount of fresh oil leaking from the bottom of the valve cover. I drove home immediately to start checking it out and see what the issue could be.

Out of all of the information I looked up about doing this replacement I did not really see a lot about how much fuji bond to use. I read in one post to "not be liberal with it" but making sure the gasket sits properly so not to use too much silicone. With that being said I am very much questioning about the amount of fuji bond I used. I pulled the cover off and noticed that part of the gasket near the bottom was not completely bonded to the valve cover and had oil underneath it so I assume that is the culprit.

I am wondering if it is a bad idea to try and pull that gasket out and re-fuji bond it to the cover. By doing this will I tear the gasket and need to get a new one again, or would I be able to pull it out without damaging it and replace the fuji bond? Or should I leave the gasket in the cover and just put more fuji bond on the outside of the gasket that meets with the engine? Also are you supposed to put fuji bond along the sides of the gaskets so it is completely sealed on all ends?

Another thing I noticed was I did not tighten the bolts for the spark plug coils all of the way, but I feel that has less of an impact. I also made sure not to tighten the 8 bolts too much because it is only 4.7 ft.Ib of torque but I noticed today they were a lot easier to remove than yesterday. To the point where I did not even have to use the wrench to remove them. Regardless, my valve cover is pulled again, the gasket still sits in it from yesterdays fuji job, and I am unsure of where to go from here? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    are you using the fuji bond on the gasket that mates to the cylinder head or the gasket portion that goes inside the valve cover? use a skim coat on the half moon portion on the gasket that seals to the head, put a dab on the corners where the half moon bottoms out so the sharp parts basically.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I am using fuji bond on both sides of the gasket, where it mates with the cylinder head and inside the valve cover. I put a very thin layer on the side that mates with the cylinder head.

did you clean the crap out of the mating surfaces? brake cleaner or carb cleaner will work. the most important part of any gasket replacement is surface prep.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Once on a Ford I used too much sealant and it leaked out of the seam so much that I ended up re-tightening the bolts after the sealant leakage stopped...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
    did you clean the crap out of the mating surfaces? brake cleaner or carb cleaner will work. the most important part of any gasket replacement is surface prep.
    Yep totally agree found out the hard way on my Z. Surface prep is really important.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Yeah I cleaned the surfaces completely. I was told to use permatex the right stuff because the bond is stronger so I picked some up today. I still have yet to put it on but I am a little curious about it because it says on the can that it dries within a few minutes.