Ever had this happen?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ever had this happen? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So first off, this is on my newly purchased 2011 WRX sedan completely stock with 40k miles. Today my check ...

I Support ClubWRX

Ever had this happen?

So first off, this is on my newly purchased 2011 WRX sedan completely stock with 40k miles. Today my check engine light came on, not too big of a deal. At the same time, though, the traction control light turned on along with my cruise control light started blinking. Has anyone else had this problem before? The code from the check engine was P0457 which is Evac leak detected, so I thought it was the fuel cap. Took it out and put it back in properly but the light stays on. There are a couple other things that can be. I'm taking it to the dealer on Tuesday and am going to see what they say about this.

Also, I was wondering if it was normal for first and second gear to whine a little through the duration of both gears. My 84 z28 never had any sort of whine in any gears nor did my buddy's TT.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ya I had this happen. It was a misfire code. Subaru couldn't figure out the problem so I told them to replace the spark plugs and it fixed it. However someone here had similar issues and messaged me and the same solution didn't fix theirs.

The whine you talk about should be the turbo if you hear between 3000 to 4500 rpms give or take. But without hearing this whine I can't be sure. YouTube WRX acceleration videos and you can get an idea of the turbo whine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153 View Post
    Ya I had this happen. It was a misfire code. Subaru couldn't figure out the problem so I told them to replace the spark plugs and it fixed it. However someone here had similar issues and messaged me and the same solution didn't fix theirs.

The whine you talk about should be the turbo if you hear between 3000 to 4500 rpms give or take. But without hearing this whine I can't be sure. YouTube WRX acceleration videos and you can get an idea of the turbo whine.
    Yeah it's not the turbo. It's a whine in the transmission through the duration of both 1st and 2nd. I just got off the phone with the dealer about the check engine and it is definitely something in the EVAP system. She also said that it is normal for all those lights to go off as anytime the check engine light comes on it automatically turns off the trac control and the cruise control. The last time I had a tranny that whined was in my z28 and not six months after it started I completely shredded 2nd gear.

The whine is from the design of the gears, Subaru made the gears a little straighter to make them stronger.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    The whine is from the design of the gears, Subaru made the gears a little straighter to make them stronger.
    Good to know, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something going bad as the factory powertrain warranty is up soon. Thanks!

Mines been doing it since I bought the car new lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    Eh, I'd think its the whine of the differentials. The gears are helical. Only the reverse gear is straight (which is why it whines louder than all forward gears, and why it's harder to shift into reverse).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Eh, I'd think its the whine of the differentials. The gears are helical. Only the reverse gear is straight (which is why it whines louder than all forward gears, and why it's harder to shift into reverse).
    As long as it's normal lol which the general consensuses seems to say it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Could this whine also be related to the syncros? My first and second gears are especially whiny when I downshift and the syncros kick in.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Put in a Group N transmission mount & Cross member bushings. Whines like no tomorrow in the lower gears.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Could this whine also be related to the syncros? My first and second gears are especially whiny when I downshift and the syncros kick in.
    Syncros only work when you're shifting. As far as I can tell they won't make noise...but if they are failing at any point, you'll grind gears easily when trying to shift. When you down shift, it gets louder as all the differentials are now slowing to even up with each other. Subarus are the loudest damn cars when it comes to mechanics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    As long as it's normal lol which the general consensuses seems to say it is.
    Yep it is.

And if you really are worried about it...no harm in going to the dealer to look at it under warranty.

All depends on the way the gears are cut too, theyre helical cut but a little straighter and also larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.