Second air injector pump !!!!! HELP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Second air injector pump !!!!! HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. I purchased my first WRX over a month ago. And since then I have only been able to ...

Exclamation Second air injector pump !!!!! HELP

Hi all. I purchased my first WRX over a month ago. And since then I have only been able to drive it for about a week. Its a 2009 WRX hatch. Only mods are front and back sway bar and a Catback Exhaust. So my issue is, After about 4 days of driving it i went to start it one morning and the check engine light came on. Basically heard some strange sound coming from the engine bay. After opening the hood I could hear the air injector pump spinning very loud. I shut the car off and the pump kept going for another few minutes then smoke came out of it. I after a bunch of crap I got got the air injector part covered by the extended warranty. A new one pump was put in and i was on my way. I get my car back three weeks later. Now every thing was fine for about another week. Then today i went to the store. Got my stuff came back out and started up and saw the engine check light on again. I drove home as it was only two mins away. I open the hood to hear the same sound again. This time i quickly grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled the ground of the batt to stop the air injector pump from spinning. I touched the pump and it was too hot to touch!!! What the heck is going on. I mean yes the warranty covered the new part and labor the first time. But its not the pump that is the problem. Something else is going on. The error code that came up the first time was air injection pump, So I imagine its the same error code again. I will go buy a scanner tool tomorrow. But for now I am screwed. My car is un-drivable. I am wondering if anyone here has had the same issue. And I am not hard on my WRX at all. When this happened today I had my wife with me so I was driving extra careful. I need to figure out what is causing the the computer to tell the pump to spin when engine is off.
    And also when the garage changed out the pump he said he ran through the diagnosis check list to ensure the circuits for that part of the system are fine. No fuses are were blown. He also check the Engine management system and it said it was indeed running on a stock tune. But this shop is not a tuner shop at all So I am unsure if he really nows how to do all that stuff. But everything else he did was great. I got him to service the whole car from the 0 km all the way too its 78000 check list. He went through the car looking for anything I should be concerned with. Everything was fine he said and I was good to go. But clearly there is a underlying issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My air pump went out in my 06 wrx and I took it into the dealer, they wanted $1200 to replace it... So of course the emissions warranty wouldn't cover it and neither would my extended warranty, so I did some research online and found out that you can remove it and install blocking plates on the heads... I decided to go with this option and had the dtc codes deleted off the ecu... I've been driving it now for 3 years with it removed with no issues..) some modes have air pump valves that go into both heads like on my wrx, but the sti's from what I can tell only have one on the drivers side head... It's a pretty common problem from what I've read and if you have it fixed once it will more then likely happen again so I'd just remove it to avoid the headache! If I were you just pull the fuse and relay for it and get ready to just remove it out of your car... It also makes access to the driver's side spark plugs easier too and it cleans up the engine bay too... Good luck man!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.