Misc. questions (condensation in intake, bov, wheel spacers)

This is a discussion on Misc. questions (condensation in intake, bov, wheel spacers) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i didnt want to make three seperate posts so i figured id just make one big post on here, ...

Misc. questions (condensation in intake, bov, wheel spacers)

so i didnt want to make three seperate posts so i figured id just make one big post on here, these are questions i have about my 02 wrx:

1. is there something can protect my aftermarket air intake? not just for heat but kind of a splash guard. i have an spt intake (dont really want to spend 200 on the heat shield) but for the second time since owning the car, it was raining heavily and water mustve got onto the intake filter and the engine started bogging down and i was stuck on the side of the road until i took out the maf and wiped it dry and put it back in, the car ran fine after. i live in wisconsin so winter might be a big issue, has anyone had experience with Injens "hydroshield". its basically a water repellent sock that goes over the filter.

2. this may be hard to answer but how much boost lag should i really experience from a fully atmospheric bov (i have a forge fully atmospheric) i checked for boost leaks and couldnt find any but sometimes the turbo feels a bit laggy especially around 4th 5th gear (as far as mods im cobb stage 2, spt intake, full 3" tbe, and sti uppipe). Would switching to a 50/50 bov make a big difference. the forge sounds awesome but i kind of prefer the performance aspect.

3. im just kind of browsing and looking at possible future parts, and i was looking into 25mm hubcentric wheel spacers just to have the wheels sit flush with the body. it appears my front tires sit out further than the rears do, is this like this on everbodys wrx? could i possibly get away with getting smaller wheel spacers in the front and 25mm's in the back? like i said not trying to go ricey, i just really like when the wheels sit flush compared to being in the wheel well.

Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1...yeah I'd figure something out to do that. I've heard decent results with the hydroshield actually. I can tell you first hand that yeah, you should protect the intake filter. I drowned my car in a flash flood I couldn't see coming due to an SPT intake.

2...Lag? You won't experience lag unless you have a boost leak somewhere. But a BOV can certainly cause idling issues and rich conditions when shifting. A 50/50 would be better than a full VTA BOV, but if you really care for performance, put he stock BPV back on. They can hold boost reliably to around 20psi.

3...As long as everyone has the same characteristics, then yes, that's what everyone's will be like. Putting spacers on now becomes another point of failure and puts stress on the joint as there is now more force on the knuckle and hub. I think it's pointless to go that big of a spacer. I wouldn't do more than a 5 or 10mm. Given the symmetrical AWD system, you'll want the same set up on fall 4 corners so you don't fry the differentials (same reason you should have the same size wheels, same tires, same tread wear)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Odd to be running into the water issues with your intake. I have a cold air intake and have never had issues (edit - I see Mikie's post above - apparently common with SPT?).

The BOV would be better to not be set to full atmospheric. You are releasing charged air, which causes you car to run less than optimal (rich).

Wheel spacers are generally not a good idea. I would just get a wheel with a smaller + offset.

I Support ClubWRX
    1) I don't know about the Injen unit, but AEM has a product designed to help prevent hydrolock, but they have a disclaimer against using it on a F/I vehicle. I like my APS 65mm CAI; it keeps the filter in the fender, while not placing it high enough that water ingestion is any kind of a concern (I would have to be an idiot to get it to suck up water). Considering the IAT sensor (which is used in some ECU compensation tables) is located in the MAF sensor, isolating the filter element is a good idea. Cobb has a pretty good unit, when paired with their airbox, for both keeping water off the filter and keeping radiant heat away.

2) As said, unless there is a post-turbo exhaust leak caused by the valve itself, there should be no impact on boost characteristics.

3) I'm not a fan of wheel spacers.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Odd to be running into the water issues with your intake. I have a cold air intake and have never had issues (edit - I see Mikie's post above - apparently common with SPT?).

The BOV would be better to not be set to full atmospheric. You are releasing charged air, which causes you car to run less than optimal (rich).

Wheel spacers are generally not a good idea. I would just get a wheel with a smaller + offset.
    Common if you don't have the splash guard/under tray and no air box/shield in the bay...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

1 thanks for all the input, im thinking im going to either 1. look into make a splatter guard 2. purchase a cobb or spt heatshield and pickup the injen hydroshield to aid in either two options

2 the bov i would like to switch to a 50/50 so ill pick one up or trade for one when i get the chance. the symptoms are a little hard to explain. its mainly 5th gear that had me questioning. i dont really do this (other than trying to trouble shoot this problem) but if the car is in 5th and say im around 2-3k driving normal and put go WOT, my rpm gauge will quickly climb up to 5k drop down to around 4k and then will start climbing back up. would that be the boost trying to build? i know a bit about turbo'd cars but this is the first one ive dealt with where someone else did some of the mods, just wanna make sure everythings set up correctly

3 the wheel spacers i think ill hold off with, i might pickup some 5mm for the hell of it if i have extra money laying around, but as of right now i cant afford new wheels since i just bought my friends rotas 2 months ago

I Support ClubWRX
    Been documented over and over again with that intake. The filter is so close to the fender that durring hard rains or going through automated car washes water will leak off the top inner fender lip and directly onto the filter.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S