Hole in Radiator top hose
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hole in Radiator top hose within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, After giving my baby a nice wash and wax detailing she decided to go and burn a hole ...

Hole in Radiator top hose

Hey guys, After giving my baby a nice wash and wax detailing she decided to go and burn a hole throw the top hose of the radiator. It was pressed against another smaller diameter hose and the secondary piece of rubber that is meant to take this wear was on the wrong side of the hose. Long story short nearing the end of my commute my temperature gauge started to climb and my heart started to drop. I pulled off the highway and into a park and ride in a cloud of steam and shut of the car. I had to call my girlfriends father for assistance, he came with a variety of tools and some distilled water. I filled the expansion tank with distilled water and started the car. We spent a good 5 or 10 minutes watching the temperature gauge and looking for leaks. Finally i saw a cloud spraying up from the top hose of the radiator (2"diameter). 3 auto parts stores later and i got my new hose and we headed back to the park and ride to reinstall. After replacing the hose ( and making sure that damned protective rubber was in the right spot!) i filled with coolant from the cap on the passengers side above the engine, and filled the expansion tank to the full line. After letting her burp a few times the coolant levels dropped so more was added to compensate. Finally she had seemingly enough coolant and was running consistantly at normal operating temperature, so i went for a quick 5 minute test drive. When i came back and opened the hood (there was some steam, i havnt cleaned the engine bay yet) the coolant in the expansion tank had gone down about an inch and a half, i refilled to full and she sat for a while. I just decided to go out for a late night ride to ensure she is fine; i took a bout a 15 minute ride through the back roads, driving spiritedly for one short stretch. Upon returning the coolant has dropped to only about an inch above the low line in the expansion tank. Should i be worried about a leak elsewhere/head gasket issue? should i be worried about any possible engine damage from this problem? and i guess i failed to mention at some point so i will now it is an 05 wrx mostly stock aside from wheels/tires/spt shifter 73.5k miles. Also i am out of antifreeze at this point, should i be concerned about driving tomorow morning before i can pick some up at lunch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No and no.

I'd be sure to burp more thoroughly, that's likely what's going on. If it's not lowbrow, watch for overheating. If none, get coolant plus the Subaru coolant conditioner, and burp it again and again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Coolant is holding fine now burped it again and added the coolant conditioner. However i started noticing a sort of marbles in a tin can type noise around 2100 rpm, im assuming since it is related to a specific rev range that it is like an unrelated heatshield or something of the sort. i did take a video for analysis purposes; ill post it here first so as to not create another thread when there is that possibility it could be related to the previous incident. I've only owned the car a few weeks now so i cant be certain if this noise was here before the incident or not .
    http://youtu.be/tZ06PeQ6M8o

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.