Need a bit of help ID'ing this hose

This is a discussion on Need a bit of help ID'ing this hose within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry for the crappy image but maybe i can get a better quality one up soon if needed Spent the ...

Need a bit of help ID'ing this hose

Sorry for the crappy image but maybe i can get a better quality one up soon if needed

Spent the day working on the car doing various things. I set out this morning to install my back up camera only to find that some one ripped off my passenger side mirror and damaged the whole assembly, I also found a nail in my tire and wired up my gauges I bought second hand only to find the backlights on all 3 are dead except the 4th one. After plugging my tire and installing my camera and taking care of various other things I popped the hood to check out the oil. I noticed some dirt/grime on the hose pictured below as i went to wipe it off i noticed coolant was dripping out. I pressed the hose in and then coolant proceeded to spray out. Taking a quick look it seems that hose runs down under the intercooler/alternator area. I couldnt do any more digging around, it was getting dark out and I am pretty much beat.

What is this hose or what is it called? Where can I find a new one? Based on its location am I in for a hell of a job tomorrow when I can continue working on it? The image below is NOT my engine bay, i just grabbed a random bay off of google images. I literally just came in from outside and ate dinner so I havent had much time to google or search this issue through the forums. I hope someone on here can enlighten me.

As a temp fix I put some silicone over the area and i planned on duct taping it till i can figure out what to do for repair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture (2).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	120282

On a side note does any one have a 02-03 wrx passenger side mirror and does some one know how to repair the back light on greddy gauges

Im about to hit the classifieds now and google said issues im having.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bad pic, but looks like the throttle body coolant hose to me. You can find rubber hoses at pretty much any auto parts store.. but if it were me, I'd probably just perform a throttle body coolant bypass and be done with it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, coolant supply to the throttle body. It's intended to keep the throttle plate from freezing open/closed.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It's intended to keep the throttle plate from freezing open/closed.

You mean intake air heater..

That is the throttle body coolant hose. Passes coolant through the throttle body to heat it in extreme cold weather. Several locations you can get that part. Your best bet is to check if your local subaru dealer has the part in stock. If not, there are a lot of websites that sell OEM subaru parts:
    - subarupartsdepartment.com
    - subaruonlineparts.com
    - Many others

Just google Subaru OEM parts, or similar.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You mean intake air heater..
    No. Subaru does not have an intake air heater.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Bad pic, but looks like the throttle body coolant hose to me. You can find rubber hoses at pretty much any auto parts store.. but if it were me, I'd probably just perform a throttle body coolant bypass and be done with it.
    Yep, coolant supply to the throttle body. It's intended to keep the throttle plate from freezing open/closed.
    Yes this is correct.

I assume I shouldnt have an issue with the bypass mod since New York winters never progress into arctic conditions. I see this is a worry after doing this mod if the weather dips below 5 degrees F or so.

Quote Originally Posted by subypete View Post
    That is the throttle body coolant hose. Passes coolant through the throttle body to heat it in extreme cold weather. Several locations you can get that part. Your best bet is to check if your local subaru dealer has the part in stock. If not, there are a lot of websites that sell OEM subaru parts:
    - subarupartsdepartment.com
    - subaruonlineparts.com
    - Many others

Just google Subaru OEM parts, or similar.
    Yep this has been confirmed I will take a look for the hose although I am also considering the bypass mod as mentioned above. All of my consumables like oil, filter, coolant, conditioner etc has always been OEM. Never had a problem with OEM since ive owned my car, besides doing a few performance mods here and there.

I Support ClubWRX
    No. Subaru does not have an intake air heater.

No.. not in the conventional sense. But running coolant through your TB certainly isn't helping to cool the charge.

I Support ClubWRX
    I need to start IDing my hose.... They look younger and younger as I get older.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I see what you did there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

I know, right? When did they start letting people born in the 90s into bars? That's just wrong.

Ok what about the hoses on the left that connect to the hard lines in front of the intercooler?
    Pcv?
    Mine are cracked and I don't know what to search for when inquiring about what to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossEyedBugEye View Post
    Ok what about the hoses on the left that connect to the hard lines in front of the intercooler?
    Pcv?
    Mine are cracked and I don't know what to search for when inquiring about what to purchase.
    Those are the breather hoses for your engine. Feeds air from you valve breather vents to your turbo inlet. A lot of people rereoute this hose to an aftermarket air-oil separator or catch can.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD