Need Help Diagnosing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Help Diagnosing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having an issue with what seems like my turbo, or something connected to it. Stock 09 wrx turbo ...

Need Help Diagnosing

I am having an issue with what seems like my turbo, or something connected to it. Stock 09 wrx turbo setup, with a catted dp and stage 2 tune. I am having an issue where I can hear the turbo fan spinning, like a lot. It is consistent with RPMs and road speed, not necessarily boost pressure. When I take my foot off the accelerator and clutch in, is when I hear it the most (as the RPMs drop off to idle). It sounds like the fan is just spinning under its own momentum. I first thought it was due to one of the bolts, connecting IC to turbo, being loose, due to stripped threads. Dealership helicoiled the threads and the IC is secured now. Noise still happens

My plan is to hook up a tactrix cable this weekend to see whats going on. According to my butt dyno, the car is still boosting well and driving normally.

Also, I know exhaust gasses pass through the turbo constantly, right? When letting off the accelerator, does it normally spin under its own momentum to idle speed or does something control its slowing down?

Ideas?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Throw out bearing?

The pressure built by the turbo will also slow it down once the exhaust gas reduces. The turbo doesn't have a fan, its a turbine driven by exhaust gas and on the other side (compressor) the shaft drives the air into the intake and build pressure. This same pressure will keep the turbo from spinning any faster and slow it down once the exhaust gas pressure is down. There are things like stalling, but I'm not all that familiar with the specifics.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    Throw out bearing?
    Just replaced/fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    The pressure built by the turbo will also slow it down once the exhaust gas reduces. The turbo doesn't have a fan, its a turbine driven by exhaust gas and on the other side (compressor) the shaft drives the air into the intake and build pressure. This same pressure will keep the turbo from spinning any faster and slow it down once the exhaust gas pressure is down. There are things like stalling, but I'm not all that familiar with the specifics.
    Yea, turbine (thats what I meant by fan). So once I let off the throttle, the pressure built up should slow it right down?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

Get a TDI. It will solve all problems.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Get a TDI. It will solve all problems.
    Bro...does your turbo even variable??
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Anyone?

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Anyone?

Sent from my iPwn
    Honestly buddy...just like we tell other n00bsauces around here, you can't really diagnose a sound through text. I've kind of heard it in person, but I'd have to hear it again since it's been awhile.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Just thoughts of things to check in that area or maybe someone had the same issue

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pull your DP and see if there is any shaft play in the turbo.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

IS it actually a "sirring" noise coming from spinning turbo or is it more a whistling noise coming from a leak? A leak seems to be more likely. Removal of downpipe should be easy and allow to check the mechanical condition of the turbo's bearings, as Drews stated above.

Not a leak. It's def a spinning type noise. Spin it reallllly fast and just let it slow down on its own momentum.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Do you have the original bypass valve and is it working correctly? You probably need to get yourself some Tactrix and laptop and/or ELM Bluetooth with Torque software on your phone and get actual boost numbers...

Yea, only engine mod is exhaust and tune. I am grabbing mikie'a tactrix in 10 min and I will mess with it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Mikie sat shotty for a bit. He says it's my transmission.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast