Need Help Diagnosing - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Need Help Diagnosing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the dealership informed me that the transmission was way overfilled with oil, to the point of leaking out the ...

So the dealership informed me that the transmission was way overfilled with oil, to the point of leaking out the dip stick valve (I think he said there). They also commented on how the clutch felt "aftermarket". They replaced it, so whatever they put in. They adjusted the fluid and drove it around and said it sounded fine. "Nothing they haven't heard from every other manual car"

What say you...

EDIT: Just found this while researching what they said: "The amount of lubrication is also critical for shift timing. Overfilling a manual transmission will cause fluid to leave from the vent but will create windage problems. Windage is the effort needed for the gears to turn through the oil level. Dry sump race motors make more horsepower than a stock wet sump motor because the crankshaft is not fighting the oil in the bottom of the pan. Think of it as trying to run on a beach. It takes little effort to run on the hard packed sand near the tide line, but a great effort to run through 6 inches of water in the surf. When a manual trans is over filled and the driver makes a shift, the gear trains slows down very quickly when the clutch is depressed because of the fluid drag, altering the synchronizer timing and causing shift issues. A classic case of this was the Tremec 3650 series of 5 speed transmissions where the fill plug was actually designed too high in the case. On these units you cannot" fill to spill", but to inch below the fill plug level for proper operation."

http://www.rsgear.com/blog/2011/5/23...-failures.aspx

Sent from my iPwn
    Last edited by spirited09wrx; 10-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very interesting. Let's hope that works out for you now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Nope... -_-

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

Trying to do some research as to what it may be, this sounded pretty close:

Opinions On A Whirring Noise

I'll suggest it to the dealership when I go back in on Monday :/
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

How the hell do they keep giving it back to you when it's not fixed??? That's what I don't get.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    How the hell do they keep giving it back to you when it's not fixed??? That's what I don't get.
    + a lot.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

This is the first time they've given it back when it needs to go back for the same reason. Up until now, it's been one different thing after the next. They apparently never really heard the noise in the first place and when they drove it a while after fixing the fluid level, etc, they as well didn't hear it. I don't know how long "a while" is, but it was making the noise 15/20 minutes into my trip home.

I will drive it back, it should be definitely making the noise by then and the tech will get in the car and I will drive around and point out the noise.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.