2011 WRX Power dip at 4000 RPM

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Power dip at 4000 RPM within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I did a few google searches and checked other forums and I hear some people talking about it, ...

2011 WRX Power dip at 4000 RPM

Hey guys I did a few google searches and checked other forums and I hear some people talking about it, but nothing was solid so I wanted to post to ask if anyone knows if this is normal.

My 2011 WRX has just under 74000kms on it, no mods, bone stock. When I go full throttle in 1st i dont notice anything, in second usually nothing either but in 3rd there is a slight tiny little power dip just before 4000 rpms for about a millisecond, my fiance is a frequent passenger and she says shes notices that all the time and thinks its normal. Now I normally don't go full throttle in 4th or 5th unless i am on the highway trying to pass (which i am then paying attention to the road more so then anything else) but i usually ease into it. But i noticed tonight driving that when I go FT i notice a 1-1.5 second power dip around 4000 RPMS the turbo sounds like it just pauses and then it jumps up past 4000 rpms and i can hear the turbo screaming. No engine light no sputter no weird noises. Is this normal and i've just lost my mind or is this a sign to bad things to come??

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The boost in these cars drops off as RPM climb to prolong the life of the turbo. I also get this lag you're describing. People say getting a cobb A/P and running stage 1 or 2 eliminates this lag
    '14 SWP STI

Stage one will eliminate it .If you look at a stock dyno graph compared to a stage one you will notice how much smoother the stage 1 map is . I recommend torque performance stage 1 over cobb , its slighty more aggressive .

Also, these cars run dreadfully lean under 4000 RPM, so much so, that you shouldn't go WOT under that engine speed. Feeling a little loss of power at that RPM could be the point right before the computer drops the AFR down accounting for the hiccup. Get it tuned, you'll love it, and your engine will thank you.

I suppose. I should post a video though to confirm I just feel like the dip in power is to much and seems unnatural I searched for YouTube videos of acceleration and didn't see the same thing

I have an 07 wrx with a cold air intake, catback exhaust, down pipe, and just installed a turbo smart manual boost controller. Had the car tuned and put on a dyno. I have a stock turbo and we set the boost to 16psi and ran it on the dyno but I noticed that when they hit full throttle on third gear around 45k rpm the car jerks and looses power for a second then tries to recover. The tuner told me that I might have boost leak somewhere or that it can be the wastegate. So last night I change the hoses and secure all lines with clamps. I tried full throttle again on 3rd and it did the same. So I was wondering is 16psi of boost too much for the stock turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryland42 View Post
    I have an 07 wrx with a cold air intake, catback exhaust, down pipe, and just installed a turbo smart manual boost controller. Had the car tuned and put on a dyno. I have a stock turbo and we set the boost to 16psi and ran it on the dyno but I noticed that when they hit full throttle on third gear around 45k rpm the car jerks and looses power for a second then tries to recover. The tuner told me that I might have boost leak somewhere or that it can be the wastegate. So last night I change the hoses and secure all lines with clamps. I tried full throttle again on 3rd and it did the same. So I was wondering is 16psi of boost too much for the stock turbo.
    IDK, but you shouldn't be reving to 45K RPM's

My bad 4 thousand 500 hundred Soooooorrry