Engine chirp/squeak in idle/park after a 20 min drive

This is a discussion on Engine chirp/squeak in idle/park after a 20 min drive within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, Just entered the WRX world with the purchase of a 2011 WRX Limited. Everything drives great, but I ...

Engine chirp/squeak in idle/park after a 20 min drive

Hello all,

Just entered the WRX world with the purchase of a 2011 WRX Limited. Everything drives great, but I just noticed after a couple decent drives (20+ min) and I go to park, I hear a reoccurring squeak/chirp coming from what I think is the passenger side engine bay as I let it sit and idle. Car is at 28.8k miles, and I didn't notice the sound on cold start.

I still have warranty left, so I'll probably have the dealer diagnose it at my 30k service, but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion of what it might be and if its serious enough to get looked at before then.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Auxiliary belt or roller. Have them look. Worst case: they can't or won't replicate it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If it's under warranty why would you wait to get it checked out? This always baffles me!

Could also be as simple as a dirty belt; been doing any sweet-as Subaruing on dusty roads?

Dealers aren't that close to where I live and work, and available time is limited this month, so its at least a half day commitment with no loaner car. (And if it becomes something serious, I need to find a ride for a few days)

No real dust or dirt roads in here in Orlando though. :-)

It won't harm your car to take it in for the 30k service a thousand miles earlier...

But it most likely is a belt or roller.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

As far as the 30k service, are there things I should do on my own and keep receipts or is it best to just have them do it as far as warranty purposes. (My first car in a long time with an existing warranty left :-) ) The main thing I saw in the manual I didn't feel like deal was the brake flush, but oil change and any air filters are pretty easy to do.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've done most scheduled maintenance DIY for years. I keep dated receipts, I use authentic parts, and I also keep most expendables in a box. I've had to make warranty claims and when it came to whether the maintenance has been done, I've simply brought my binder with the dated receipts and gotten warranty service with no problems. YMMV.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Here's a video: YouTube

It almost sounds lower than near the exhaust, its very high pitched almost tinny, but suppose could be a belt too.