Newb needs help with picture of weld job (pic attached)

This is a discussion on Newb needs help with picture of weld job (pic attached) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Everyone, After years of pining I am looking to buy my first Impreza - a 2003 WRX with 105k ...

Newb needs help with picture of weld job (pic attached)

Hi Everyone,
    After years of pining I am looking to buy my first Impreza - a 2003 WRX with 105k miles. When trying to act like I knew what I was doing checking out the car's underside, I noticed what seem to me to be a "different" type of weld on the casing of the exhaust. Could anyone please enlighten me as to what I am actually looking at, and if there is a concern with the vehicle? Haze me, if you must. ;-) Thank you, Everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00136.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have pictures of the rest of the exhaust? No hazing required, it would take a sharp eye to pick that out.

It looks as if somebody added a larger diameter midpipe and possibly a different resonator. It also appears that the downpipe is the stock unit. Whoever did it was trying hard to maintain a stock appearance, so I'd guess you live in state with stringent vehicle inspections? If you have more pictures of the rest of the catback exhaust, it should be able to clear up what the previous owner did.

Welcome to the club, and good eye!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

This looks like heat shielding was tacked on to the exhaust system. Don't think that's a stock job but I don't see anything necessarily wrong here.

Thanks very much to you both. I am in California, and will attempt to get more pics this evening. The single owner is older and didn't know what that was either. His daughter drove the car for a few years, possibly in the pacific northwest. The car is currently in the garage getting the head gaskets changed.
    Thanks again!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The welds aren't out of place, that's how my stock exhaust is assembled. But what does seem odd is the gap in the heat shield, looks like a larger diameter pipe is in there or something, and the welds look a little imperfect compared to my welds.