Knock sensor issue

This is a discussion on Knock sensor issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, I purchased my 04 WRX around two months ago. I got it for a good deal but have ...

Knock sensor issue

Hello everyone,
    I purchased my 04 WRX around two months ago. I got it for a good deal but have had to put a little bit of work into it. I have been recently having a p0327 knock sensor low input code followed by bank1/2 lean. There were no real symptoms of this besides a low rolling idle. I got to the sensor and discovered that the OEM harness connection has been cut out and replaced by a solder job. I thought this may be the issue but with reconnecting the wires solidly, the code remained. Due to the ambiguity of the service manual and the angle the sensor was placed before (the exact opposite direction than it is now), I wanted to make sure I have the positioning correct. Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	119305

With a 4 or 5 mile drive, I have dropped the code but I still have the low rolling idle and I am running noticeably richer with a strong gas smell for 93 fuel. Since I haven't been running properly, is there usually a strong small with that grade of gas? The previous owner put a short ram intake in, and I am pretty doubtful they got a tune. If that was the case and had any effect on how I am running currently, would I be shooting a MAF code?

Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bumping for hope

I Support ClubWRX
    The orientation looks right to me. Just make sure it is properly torqued to 17 ftlbs. That also has an affect on it's operation. I would try cleaning the idle air control valve and see if that helps with the idle. There is no difference in smell between the different octanes of gasoline. Generally a troublesome intake will give you a P0171 code.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S