New Subaru Owner Wrx Engine Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Subaru Owner Wrx Engine Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hell all, Just got my first Subaru ever, have always owned a Honda, but have been less than satisfied with ...

New Subaru Owner Wrx Engine Question

Hell all,

Just got my first Subaru ever, have always owned a Honda, but have been less than satisfied with there new lineup. I picked up a 2014 wrx hatch at the stealer. My question is while the car warms up and does it's idle thing it seems to sway in the cabin (left to right) just enough to notice. Is this normal and the nature of the motor? I assume it's just the beastly motor under the hood doing it's thing. (There are no cel, and do not seem violent in any manner like a misfire) However, like I said I am new to Subaru so I really have no clue. Thanks for the help in advance to those who can offer guidance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does it smooth out with throttle? In my 02 you can feel the idle in the car. Shakes side to side a bit but smooths out with a little throttle. the unequal length headers that give the "boxer rumble" also create a bit of a rough idle.

I Support ClubWRX
    What you describe is not abnormal. My early car does this also.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's smooth while driving, and giving it throttle. It really is just slight. I'm probably being anal, but then again was worth an ask to people who have been doing Subaru for a length of time.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Mine feels that way too at idle. U can feel a little shimmy shimmy.

Don't feel that in my 13 wrx hatch... At least I don't notice it...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The boxer motor has no balance shafts due to the design. This is because the boxer motor does not have any inherent primary vibration. However, there is a lesser secondary vibration that occurs around the crankshaft and is a 2nd order vibration (2 full amplitudes per crankshaft rotation). This secondary vibration manifests itself in the form of a slight "rock" at idle, and is likely what you've experienced.

FYR, this "rock" will smooth out of idle because the relative amplitude of the vibration will decrease with increasing frequency (RPM). At high RPM, this secondary vibration will manifest itself as slightly perceptible NVH.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The boxer motor has no balance shafts due to the design. This is because the boxer motor does not have any inherent primary vibration. However, there is a lesser secondary vibration that occurs around the crankshaft and is a 2nd order vibration (2 full amplitudes per crankshaft rotation). This secondary vibration manifests itself in the form of a slight "rock" at idle, and is likely what you've experienced.

FYR, this "rock" will smooth out of idle because the relative amplitude of the vibration will decrease with increasing frequency (RPM). At high RPM, this secondary vibration will manifest itself as slightly perceptible NVH.
    Well actually, you can have six hydrocoptic marzul vanes fitted to an ambaphascient luna wain shaft so that the side fumbling would be prevented. Most of the sway is produced by the modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive duractance of the power generated. I think Subaru adopted a pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing so that the spurving bearings are run in directly line with the panametric fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    Well actually, you can have six hydrocoptic marzul vanes fitted to an ambaphascient luna wain shaft so that the side fumbling would be prevented. Most of the sway is produced by the modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive duractance of the power generated. I think Subaru adopted a pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing so that the spurving bearings are run in directly line with the panametric fan.
    I like turtles.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Werd.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I got my 13' about month ago or so and the shake is quiet normal but I never noticed a huge rock. Especially with the car you just have might have to be broken in a bit and still kind of new. My 13' settled down after a good break in period (1k miles). But my car started to rock a little more when i installed my CBE (catback exhaust) haha. Don't be too paranoid about the rock ... if it breaks ... subaru got your back (thats if you don't start modding it right away).

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^What he said.

ever seen a lightweight boxer stand still in the ring? always moving lol. subaru flat fours rock and 'cam' like a v8. we're cool like that.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Normal... (unless the center muffler bearing is ALREADY out of balance)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I agree with it being normal....to a degree. There are several threads on NOSIAC about the newer WRX/STi having excessively rough idle, and then they start throwing a code. Seems like there are some bad wiring harnesses out there causing a misfire. So I'd say keep an eye on it. If you throw a light, take it in right away and have them check the wiring harness.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast