Example of a bad turbo

This is a discussion on Example of a bad turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Being this is my third failed turbo (my fault, not Subaru) I thought I would show you guys a video ...

Example of a bad turbo

Being this is my third failed turbo (my fault, not Subaru) I thought I would show you guys a video of what it normally looks like, since I see a lot of posts asking if it's my motor or just a bad turbo that's making my car smoke like this. This was a few months back with my cheap 18g turbo (still made it 20k miles).

Blownup WRX Turbo - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a similar situation goin on with my 02 bugeye.....cant tell what is cause of smoke, It also has a rough idle....pulled off intercooler and had oil inside turbo.....that's bad im assuming, also oil was all over inside of throttle outlet....Mods are Invidia up/downpipe, AEM cold air intake, and JMT TD-05H turbo.....I haven't been able to do injectors, fuel pump or EM yet.....I know about getting tuned just living on budget, I may go back to a stock turbo so I can salvage whats left, if theres any....I hope its just a bad turbo....

Dang Smokey! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash316 View Post
    I have a similar situation goin on with my 02 bugeye.....cant tell what is cause of smoke, It also has a rough idle....pulled off intercooler and had oil inside turbo.....that's bad im assuming, also oil was all over inside of throttle outlet....Mods are Invidia up/downpipe, AEM cold air intake, and JMT TD-05H turbo.....I haven't been able to do injectors, fuel pump or EM yet.....I know about getting tuned just living on budget, I may go back to a stock turbo so I can salvage whats left, if theres any....I hope its just a bad turbo....
    Thats sounds bad all the way around. Are you running a catless DP too? Good luck bro

ya its catless, I know I should have some form of EM, does this sound like turbo failure or could I have bigger issues on my hands....ie engine.....Ive got CEL but don't know any codes yet, its in my garage haven't taken it to a shop yet.....trying to see if I can identify problem before I go take it to someone