Possible blown headgasket? Need opinions!

This is a discussion on Possible blown headgasket? Need opinions! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey im new to the forums but not forums in general im coming from a 330000 mile 99 mazda protege ...

Exclamation Possible blown headgasket? Need opinions!

Hey im new to the forums but not forums in general im coming from a 330000 mile 99 mazda protege and having pretty much rebuilt that entirely im prepared to change out the headgasket if i have to.
    When i bought the car from the dealer about a month ago i ran it hard to make sure everything was in working order the temp gauge never budged or even got close to half way. I cut the car off when i got back and smelt something burning kind of like antifreeze well i open the hood and smoke is kind of coming out of almost where the turbo is. But by the time i had the hood open the smoke was gone so i could not investigate further. I bought the car thinking it was the brakes but upon driving and doing some maintence i stumbled on to what looks almost like gelled coolant or oil in the coolant i cant tell. The car has 160000 miles and runs well and doesnt smoke like a typical car with a blown headgasket. But everytime i run it hard it almost smells like really burnt coolant. Here is a picture of under the radiator cap.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction of what this looks like and sounds like? Im thinking either the turbos getting starved of coolant and coking the oil and thats why theres smoke and the burning smell upon turning the car off or i have a bad headgasket. Thanks or all those who give insight it will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you smell coolant then coolant is escaping from somewhere. Pressure test the cooling system.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I just read that the condotioner subaru recommends can chunk up and cause this on my cap but that wouldnt explain the smell. I will pressure test it this afternoon some one said 22psi for 20 mins is that correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    The caps are something like 13,5 PSI so there's no need to go that high.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Drain and change the oil. Is there coolant mixed in (is the oil a milky brown?) That could point to head gasket.

Otherwise you may have just a coolant leak somewhere. As SD says, pressure test it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Changed oil last week was new but still a little dirty. No abnormality in oil color or irregurlarotys in oil as there would say oil and water mixed the seperate. Im renting a pressure tester now and will let you all know what happens after i test it. Should i test at both coolant caps or just the one thats closest to the turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    You have choices. Here's my logic though: I'd want to exclude both rad caps from suspicion. There are two ways to do this; either test at one rad cap so that the other remains, then switch, or test only from one rad cap location but do the test twice, substituting one rad cap for the other at the opposite position. I'd just test at both rad caps.

Suspect the feed lines to the turbo (mine leaked twice), the rad itself, the main rad lines, everything first and the head gasket last. This tends to follow the historic failure frequency, the path of increasing cost, and optimism.

Okay so i pressure tested the radiator and the resorvoir to the turbo. No leaks. What i did find after running the car hard is that my turbo started smoking. So i think the seals are done for on it and will be looking for a new turbo. So i think the geling of the coolant is from the coolant condotioner. Hope this helps people out!!! Thanks for all the replys!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok better than a head gasket. Make sure it's not the coolant lines to the turbo, they're simpler than the seals.

If it is the coolant lines what would they need to be fixed? New gaskets/washers or just tighten them?

Also my check engine light is on for my evap system. The guy at oriellys said gas cap, but could it be more in depth then just the gas cap? The gas cap looks fairly new also, so i dunno.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've changed the coolant lines but sometimes the clamps alone can be replaced.

The CEL could be an actual evap problem, from a faulty connector to a clogged airway.

Yeah replacing a TD04 is cheap. Tons of them out there for $100-200 or so.

Evap could even be replacing the evap canister.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying