Oil Leak at Turbo - Banjo Bolts?

This is a discussion on Oil Leak at Turbo - Banjo Bolts? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was under my car this weekend and noticed some Oil had accumulated on the trans and was dripping ...

Oil Leak at Turbo - Banjo Bolts?

So I was under my car this weekend and noticed some Oil had accumulated on the trans and was dripping off. I traced the leak back up to the turbo area, pulled the intercooler and heat shield and noticed that the center housing of the turbo seemed to have a thin coat of oil on it. Note that the oil was all the way around the housing which made me think that it had to be the top banjo bolt. I gave the banjo bolts on the top of the turbo and side of the turbo a quarter turn but no luck. What is the next step here? I am not familiar with banjo bolts, is there a gasket or washer that can be replaced ? Is it possible that its leaking from somewhere else?

No oil in the compressor housing or intercooler other than the normal very thin coating, Didn't pull the downpipe so can't be sure there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try crush copper washer.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Quote Originally Posted by flytime View Post
    Try crush copper washer.
    I'll look into that. Is think a common leak spot? I only saw it mentioned a few times when I googled it.

That copper washer seals fine when it's compressed the first time, not so well second time around, and then it'll need to be replaced, no biggie... Autozone, Napa and all of them have these readily available.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    I'll look into that. Is think a common leak spot? I only saw it mentioned a few times when I googled it.
    Not usually, mine leaked on me because I switch over to a ss flexible oil line and i didn't get a new crush copper washer. But no more leak after I put new washers in
    04 Impreza Wrx

Isn't there a small screen filter in the fitting as well that can clog causing leaking and oil starvation of the turbo? Might want to check that out as well...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Isn't there a small screen filter in the fitting as well that can clog causing leaking and oil starvation of the turbo? Might want to check that out as well...
    Yea, I believe the screen is in the bolt itself, I'll make sure I clean it out when I throw the O-rings in. Really hope its not the oil drain fitting leaking, taking the up-pipe off really sucks.

I Support ClubWRX
    I hate banjo bolts. It seems like those crush washers will find a way to leak no matter what.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I hate banjo bolts. It seems like those crush washers will find a way to leak no matter what.
    And apparently fix themselves. Went to fix the leak Sunday with new washers and there were no more traces of oil at the turbo or dripping from the bottom of the tranny like there were before.

Kind of wondering if something blocked the screen temporarily and the pressure caused a leak and then blew out the screen. That is the only thing I can think of.

I should probably pull the bolt to check but I don't want to cause a new leak...

How is your wastegate bracket so clean. mine looks like garbage! and I clean my bay all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    How is your wastegate bracket so clean. mine looks like garbage! and I clean my bay all the time!
    I think its only due to the fact that its only been on there for three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    I think its only due to the fact that its only been on there for three weeks.
    Yeah, that'll do it. Just wait. If you have engine bay OCD you'll have any angry face every time you look at it, unless you put your heat shield on of course, lol