Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 WRX hatch - quarks?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jtk07 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 WRX hatch - Quirk***

Ok so some newbie question to anyone with a car similar to mine.

Has anyone noticed the brake peddle at a stop light some times makes a kind of pop sound and the peddle then move a little lower (1/4") could this be air in the lines?

Does anyone else get the odd shimmy and shake from the engine at a stop light? (With or without a/c running) typically after you have just gotten on it and the light turns red?

Do these cars poses any type of memory in terms of style of driving? In the morning i tend to just sit back and cruz I take a lot of suburban side streets (full of cops) to work after the local toll road went from $5 each way to work to $8.25 each way and notice it seems sluggish in the afternoons? After work I always let her warm up at least 3-5 min. When I leave work I drive conservative and waiting to get on it i go thry about 4 stop lights (you are guarantied to stop at 3 of them) then when i am able to get on the gas it feels almost hesitant after driving a bit she tends to opens up to a more responsive sporty feel? Maybe I'm nuts.. (Temps have ranged from 50 in the am to 105 while I've owed my car.
I only run 93 oct fuel.) no mods that would affect throttle response.

What is the thought of upgrading the pads now? Maybe going to a hawk? Thinking its a
Good idea to address stopping before going more power? Would I need to do rotors now?

I am sure to have more questions just can't think of them.

~ jtk07~
using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

See less See more
#2 ·
The shudder is your sweet, sweet boxer doing what it does!
Haven't noticed any issues with braking other than occasionally fighting the anti-reverse (hill start) brake.
Why are you running 93? Are you in an STi or you running a 93 map on your wrx?
Are you pushing the brake system or having trouble stopping? I've been pretty pleased with the stock brakes so far.

#4 · (Edited)
I run 93oct typically because 91oct is not available 87/93 and I was also told by a few people (even one of the builders at COBB) that 93 oct is a better fuel for cars with a turbo.

As far as brakes during a lot of stop and go traffic I have felt some fade, not near as much as my previous car (350z) but often traffic will be going 50-65 mph and then come to sudden stops. I do tend to leave extra room in front of me but with these dumb a$$ drivers around here they often feel this is just a reason to cut you of then brake check you. I feel pretty confident in my driving, not cocky but confident.
I went a year and a 1/2 doing roughly 30,000 miles or more each month all over Texas. We would trade brand new leased work trucks every 60k, some times as often as 3 trucks in 2 months.

olenderc;3083425.[/QUOTE said:
At least I am not alone.

~ jtk07~
using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

#3 ·
I get this once in a while. Honestly, I have no idea what it could be. Sometimes I think it could be the hill assist "engaging/disengaging" somehow or tripping that system, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happens when coming to a stop usually, but has happened when mildly braking during driving.

#5 ·
Air in the brakes usually shows as a "spongy" feel in the pedal, gets firmer when you pump it bit... Try pumping and see if the feel in the pedal changes. If so it'll probably do it on the first or second push. Then you'd want to bleed the brakes. Make sure to not run out of reservoir or you'd suck air into the system and really be screwed. Depending on where that air-bubble is you might have to bleed quite a bit. Be sure to have brake fluid on hand...

#6 ·
WRX Quarks?

Sounds like your up quarks and down quarks don't have a great enough electric charge and spin to produce the correct gravitational pull inside the Quark-gluon-plasma, which is really hot, to drive your electron brakes. Have you tried bonding with other strong quarks to avoid electron brake fade? Happens a lot after strong interaction driving.

Quark - an elementary particle and a fundamental constituent of matter

Querk - a peculiar behavioral habit.

:joke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.